Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st gen Speedo needle mod!!!!!!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #41
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAN808 View Post
day time pic neon green speedo needos!

I'm really diggin it...looks very unique
Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #42
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkinstall View Post
how do you reset the needles?
Remember, when you put the needles back on DO NOT push it in ALL the way. This will result in the needle not being responsive and will stick and not move. This is probably the problem the guy above ran into. FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
I'm really diggin it...looks very unique
Thanks bro! I liked the OP's mod with the blue, but of course I couldn't copy him...
Old 04-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #43
"Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
tacomarotto's Tacoma Gallery
subbd
Old 06-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #44
jab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud of
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
Bump to good old memories!! Also to see if anyone else has done any more colors!!!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #46
Rebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tyler
Rebel Taco Man's Tacoma Gallery
Couldn't you just leave the truck off and cold. And. It run it until the cluster is re-installed, then just put it back in with all the needles on 0? And mark the gas gauge somehow?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #47
Dek Ngo is on a distinguished road
Name: D
Dek Ngo's Tacoma Gallery
How do you get the needles off? Is it the same for all of them (speedo, tach, temp, fuel, etc.)?
Old 09-11-2012, 06:04 AM   #48
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
The way we have always done the needles in the dealerships is this:

Run engine until engine has warmed up. Take a photo of the cluster needles with engine still running. After cluster mods are done, install cluster without needles and start engine. Allow engine to warm up, then look at photo and match needles to how they appeared in the photo. We have never had a problem with accuracy.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #49
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
The way we have always done the needles in the dealerships is this:

Run engine until engine has warmed up. Take a photo of the cluster needles with engine still running. After cluster mods are done, install cluster without needles and start engine. Allow engine to warm up, then look at photo and match needles to how they appeared in the photo. We have never had a problem with accuracy.
I was wondering about that.

Regarding the speedo needle: can't you take it off when the truck is not moving (eg 0 mph) and put it back on in the 0 mph position?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #50
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
It can be done, but the servo is VERY sensitive. It is easy to put it into what appears to be 0, but then when driving it it can be off.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #51
jab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud of
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
Exactly what bamatoy is saying. When I done it i set it to what appeared to be 0 but the needle would not start to move untill about 10mph according to the gps. Everything else can be set pretty accurately but the speedo you really need a gps unless you are really good friends with the cops lol!!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #52
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So you literally drive around trying to set your speedo needle according to the mph read out on the GPS?

Or do you drive, see how off your speedo needle is according to the GPS. Stop, adjust, drive again to see if it needs adjusting and repeat until dialed in?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #53
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
Yes to the second part lol!! Drive see what the speedo is saying take note to what the gps is saying. Stop adjust the needle to what you think it may need to be. Repete untill you get it. Sorry if you can't read this I'm on my phone.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab08 View Post
Yes to the second part lol!! Drive see what the speedo is saying take note to what the gps is saying. Stop adjust the needle to what you think it may need to be. Repete untill you get it. Sorry if you can't read this I'm on my phone.
No, it's all good... lol. I won't mention names *cough* RMAN *cough* but he did it using method #1 and it made me
Old 09-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #55
Dek Ngo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dek Ngo View Post
How do you get the needles off? Is it the same for all of them (speedo, tach, temp, fuel, etc.)?
OK, so now I know how everyone puts the needles back on, but how do they come off?

Do they just pull straight out? I tried pulling on them, but I'm a little hesitant to put too much pressure on the 17-year-old plastic...

Also, the temp and fuel gauge needles are a little different from the speedo and tach. How do they come off?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #56
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dek Ngo View Post
OK, so now I know how everyone puts the needles back on, but how do they come off?

Do they just pull straight out? I tried pulling on them, but I'm a little hesitant to put too much pressure on the 17-year-old plastic...

Also, the temp and fuel gauge needles are a little different from the speedo and tach. How do they come off?
Ok just got home from work. But hopefully you have got them off by now, but if not they should just pull straight off. You may have to kinda twist them a little while pulling but just be easy on them they will eventually come off. Do you have the older style gauges or are they like the one I had posted? If it is the newer style they are the same in removing/installing as the others just smaller in size. If its the older style gauges then I have no clue lol!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #57
Dek Ngo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok just got home from work. But hopefully you have got them off by now, but if not they should just pull straight off. You may have to kinda twist them a little while pulling but just be easy on them they will eventually come off. Do you have the older style gauges or are they like the one I had posted? If it is the newer style they are the same in removing/installing as the others just smaller in size. If its the older style gauges then I have no clue lol!
My needles look exactly like yours. The only difference is that my gauges use the analog odometer and tripmeter. I'll try again with a little more force. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #58
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
Ok got ya. But yeah they will pull off eventually you just got to give them a little motivation . But just make sure you pull straight up on them.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #59
Dek Ngo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok got ya. But yeah they will pull off eventually you just got to give them a little motivation . But just make sure you pull straight up on them.
OK, I got 'em removed and the old paint scraped off. Now I just have to find time to paint them.... Thanks again!
Old 09-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #60
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!!!! Can't wait to see how they turn out!!!