LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear leafs to coils???

Old 09-19-2011, 02:02 AM   #1
Whitetailseeker is on a distinguished road
Whitetailseeker's Tacoma Gallery
Rear leafs to coils???

I want to change my 1995.5 rear axle from leaf springs to coils so I can chop the bed and shorten the length. This is so I can better manuver through the trails and logging roads in the woods. Can I swap in a coil sprung 4Runner axle? Is there a kit that could change leafs to coils? Do I just need to take it to a fabrication shop? Regardless, I will not do it, a shop will. Also, I know the leafs keep the axle in place and would need a link setup. I will tow a light weight boat with the truck occasionally and it will be driven on the highways.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:15 AM   #2
bailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ex-navy, IT Contractor
Name: Cody
bailerc's Tacoma Gallery
you should be able to shorten the bed 8" or so without touching the leafs...

http://www.atarmor.com/bedbob.htm
Old 09-19-2011, 02:18 AM   #3
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You could swap a Runner axle in..but for the price your gonna pay to do the fabrication..your just better off doughing out the dough to a do a real coilover setup.

You'll also need to relocate the gas tank to either behind axle under bed..which you said your gonna bob the bed. So you'll need a fuel cell in the bed or something under or whatever.

Link bars go where your stock tank setup is.

I'd assume it be around $3,000 at a shop to have it done.

You don't need to go linked to bob the bed though.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ +1

I'd say your best bet it to just bob the bed the 8" without a coil swap.

If you *really* want the coil swap, however, I would just keep fab up the links using your current axle and custom shocks. If you're going to do it, DO it, don't hack it together with 4Runner parts, IMO.

If you're towing etc... on the highway, just bob the bed.