1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No brake fluid when trying to blead front brakes

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Michael Nelson, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Sep 20, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Warner Robins, GA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma
    Throttle Body Spacer, Deck Plate Mod
    Well it all started when i was leaving my office the other day. I back out like normal and press on the brake so I can put my truck in drive at which point i stopped i then put my truck in drive and proceed to pull forward, at which point i attempt to slow down because i did not allow myself enough room to pull out of the tightly packed parking lot when all of a sudden i have no brakes at all...luckily last minute I remember that I have the ol pull the parking/emergency brake to stop and that brings me to a stop mere centimeters from hitting a small ford fiesta.

Im pretty car/truck smart so after doing some research i decide the master brake cylinder must have gone bad. I then order a new re manufactured one and replace the old one all the while taking necessary steps such as bench bleeding the new unit and making sure there is no air in the new master cylinder i then re installed all the hard lines.

I then with a friend begin to bleed the brakes starting with the rear passenger side first. I have bled brakes before but never on my Tacoma.
    im used to bleeding brakes and brake fluid coming out at a semi-rapid rate but that never happened, it came out very slow,but it came out none the less. so me moved on to the drivers rear side. well the same thing happened there. so we move to the front passenger side to bleed the brakes and when i loosen the bleed valve nothing at all comes out when the pedal is pressed, no air ,nothing. same exact situation with the drivers side.we then bled the brake proportioning valve and little brake fluid came out of it

we then begin to troubleshoot it. I know the master cylinder is not defective because when the hard lines are off(one at a time) brake fluid comes out when the brake pedal is pressed. I decided to take it for a drive in the neighborhood very slow. I have SOME back brakes. I have NO front brakes at all. So i started to find exactly where the hard lines
    run and they run to the 4 Wheel drive ABS module. When i bought the truck the man informed me that the ABS did not work but i understand that you dont have to have anti-lock brakes for your regular brakes to function properly. My thinking right now is that some valve or piston in the ABS module has closed itself not allowing brake fluid to reach my front brakes.....is that possible?

Im pretty much lost at this point i dont want to replace the ABS unit in my truck if there might have been something i have overlooked so any advice would be VERY much appreciated.

TL;DR Cant bleed front brakes because i think my ABS module is stopping brake fluid,how can i fix

Truck specs
    -1998 Extended Cab
    -3.4 V6
    -4 Wheel drive ABS(The Devil)
    -(if there is any more info you need just ask)

2. Sep 20, 2011 at 8:45 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    could be bad flex hoses, or as you said the abs module could have finally shit the bed. Take the hose off the caliper, see if any fluid comes out.

3. Sep 20, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    tacobo670

tacobo670 if you have to ask, u can't afford it

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport 4x4 AC 6spd
    Super cherry n some champion stuff on the side
    holding brake pedal down -then open brake bleeder? it may take several (6-10) attempts just to push the fluid all the way through the lines. worst case -there is a restriction somewhere. IMO if the pedal was getting hard even though no fluid was coming out= most likely there is a restriction. if pedal still sinks when bleeding=air still in system.

4. Sep 20, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    Michael Nelson

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Warner Robins, GA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma
    @wildjerseyfirefighter I took the main brake line of the caliper and then tried to bleed it like you do a bleed valve and got nothing no air either...im pretty positive its the ABS but I would like to be a little more positive before i run out and buy one

@tacobo670 we tried bleeding all bleed valves about two sets of 25 times so were pretty sure that were giving it ample opportunity to bleed all the air out, when we bled the rear breaks the pedal would depress as the line was letting fluid out but when we moved to the front there was no pedal movement with the bleed valves all the way off.

5. Sep 20, 2011 at 9:45 PM
    ao6902

ao6902 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arya
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    01 Std cab taco 2.4
    Underdrive crankshaft pulley, k and n filter, dynomax muffler, spectre intake, doug thorley headers
    Were there any other symptoms leading up to the no brake condition?

6. Sep 20, 2011 at 10:17 PM
    Michael Nelson

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Warner Robins, GA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma
    no none at all, they just gave out all at once

7. Sep 20, 2011 at 10:32 PM
    ao6902

ao6902 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arya
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    01 Std cab taco 2.4
    Underdrive crankshaft pulley, k and n filter, dynomax muffler, spectre intake, doug thorley headers
    Doesn't sound like a hose issue. It would be unlikely that both sides would be clogged at the same time. You did check both sides right? I'm inclined to think abs unit. Have u tried bleeding the unit? I'm not familiar with that particular one or the bleeding procedure and you might have to look that up. In fact, sometimes it is a real good idea to look up the factory brake bleeding procedure because not all are done the same. Some chevy trucks you must use a scan tool when bleeding the brakes. If you do end up replacing the ABS unit, I'd go used. New one is probably very expensive and I've always had good luck with used ones in the past.

8. Dec 29, 2021 at 10:50 PM
    Taco99sr5

Taco99sr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma 4x4
    Did you ever figure out the issue? Mine is having the same problem

9. Dec 30, 2021 at 12:43 AM
    YotaGangYotaGang

YotaGangYotaGang PreRunners are wannabe 4x4’s

Member:
    Covina
    Vehicle:
    95, 97, 01 Tacoma | 06 Tundra | 07 FJ Cruiser | 08 Prius
    A rtt i never use and 30 light bars
    A decade later OP is still bleeding them. Same situation as OP or whats your story?

10. Dec 30, 2021 at 7:41 AM
    0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF Trash Aficionado

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 reg cab 4x4 flatbed MT
    Best to start a new thread, few are willing to read that wall of text.

Black DOG Lila likes this.
  11. Dec 30, 2021 at 5:36 PM
    Taco99sr5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma 4x4
    My pedal is sinking to the floor when I break. I did a brake bleed and one of the bleeders unfortunately only bled air and no fluid. It was the left rear tire

12. Dec 30, 2021 at 6:07 PM
    YotaGangYotaGang

YotaGangYotaGang PreRunners are wannabe 4x4’s

Member:
    Covina
    Vehicle:
    95, 97, 01 Tacoma | 06 Tundra | 07 FJ Cruiser | 08 Prius
    A rtt i never use and 30 light bars
    brake booster or cylinder

13. Dec 30, 2021 at 6:13 PM
    Taco99sr5

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma 4x4
    According to the bin # I’m suppose to have an abs system but I see no abs module nor does the abs light turn on when I tunr on the vehicle. Could that be a possible treason as to why I have this problem?

Products Discussed in

To Top