Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Changing color of climate control lights on 1st gen

Old 09-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Dudemeister is on a distinguished road
Dudemeister's Tacoma Gallery
Changing color of climate control lights on 1st gen

I've searched all over this forum and can't find anyone who has done this. I want to get rid of the orange/amber color that is on the climate control dials and buttons. Lots of people have changed their gauge colors and posted how they did it, but I can't find anywhere where someone has talked about how to change the climate control lights. I plan to change my gauge colors but I want to make sure that I get these other buttons to match before I go to all the trouble.

Below are some pictures of the climate control plate that I took off the dash from my 2002 SR5 DC 4x4. On the back are orange/amber tint sticker-things over each of the areas where the light shows through. Has anyone taken these off to allow just the white to show through (or another color)? I'm afraid to scrape it off without knowing how it will look afterwards.

If you've done this then let me know how you did it and post 'after' pictures if you have them. Also, if this has been done and posted somewhere already then let me know. Thanks.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome just go and buy the climate control cover off a 02 4Runner it's white. Scraping off the orange is a pain and if your not careful you can mess it up so just buy a 4Runner cover and be done. Then you can change the lights to whatever color you want. Link
Old 09-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
Dudemeister is on a distinguished road
Dudemeister's Tacoma Gallery
Great idea. This is my first Toyota so I have no idea about the similarities with the 4runners. I still may gamble and try to scrape off the orange and then if I screw it up I can opt for the 4runner part.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
Alpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Ruben
Alpha Q Up's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Welcome just go and buy the climate control cover off a 02 4Runner it's white. Scraping off the orange is a pain and if your not careful you can mess it up so just buy a 4Runner cover and be done. Then you can change the lights to whatever color you want. Link
did you already do it? did it fit right in?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
Tommy Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Mitch
Tommy Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have done this, but my 2000 didn't have the orange film in back.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
nail polish remover might help with removing the amber?? iono.
FYI, do NOT try nail polish remover, it removes everything including the white and some of the black on the back of the face-plate

you'l have better luck just cafefully scraping away the rubbery coating and orange film with a small pocket knife or paperclip
Old 09-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
part # 55519 will not fit in my '01, it looks like a very different configuration

EDIT: my bad, upon a second look #5551935330 should work fine
Old 09-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
SSS
oneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: SSS
oneBIGroom's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, dont try to scrape of the orange film, i used acetone and it didnt help so i just decided to try and scrap it off, but when i got done i held it up to the light and all you could see was scratches and crap. Made me mad and i had to paint the part over with black touch up paint, so now i cant see the panel at night. Never heard about the 4runner pannel, ill have to try it
Old 09-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
spidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Dom
spidy3's Tacoma Gallery
I just took the 2 outside bulbs out so the only thing lit up is the blue/white/red for temp control. I like it better because it isnt so bright with everything lit up. I can take a pic if you want
Old 10-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
ilovemountains is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
ilovemountains's Tacoma Gallery
Im getting ready to order one of these 55519-35330 for my double cab, Im trying to match everything up to the new green headunit lights.... Im hoping its the right PN!
Old 10-23-2011, 12:23 AM   #13
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Q Up View Post
did you already do it? did it fit right in?
I haven't done it but I test fitted one from my girls friends Runner and it fits.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #14

Thumbs down WTF??? Thanks for nothing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
part # 55519 will not fit in my '01, it looks like a very different configuration

EDIT: my bad, upon a second look #5551935330 should work fine
Man, if you donít know, donít POST!!! Itís NOT even close... IT does noteven match any Tacoma Iíve ever seen!! ARRGHH.. Non refundable, special orderToyota part... Thanks for nothing!!!! Does anyone have the real PN for the green backlit 01 + heater plate???? Im a little irritated. See attached pic... F*&%
Old 10-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #15

Exclamation Really??

Quote:
I haven't done it but I test fitted one from my girls friends Runner and it fits.
What year Runner?? It does NOT fit an 01 Tacoma!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #16
4Running
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #17
Alpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Ruben
Alpha Q Up's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemountains View Post
Man, if you donít know, donít POST!!! Itís NOT even close... IT does noteven match any Tacoma Iíve ever seen!! ARRGHH.. Non refundable, special orderToyota part... Thanks for nothing!!!! Does anyone have the real PN for the green backlit 01 + heater plate???? Im a little irritated. See attached pic... F*&%
You purchased this item. I think it's off of a scion.

You should have purchased this one. Off of the 4runner

They have the same part number. Did you call and order it or did you purchase it through the web?

TIPICOTACO and Jlee are right. You should be more careful about what your doing.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:39 AM   #18

That makes no sense! I ordered it from Toyota Parts East, what part # should I have ordered? Why would they have the same PN if one is to a Scion and one is to a Toyota? Im sorry if Im in the wrong, I copied the PN that was posted and bought one....
Old 10-27-2011, 06:11 AM   #19

Thumbs down This makes no sense.....

According to this the PN that I copied and pasted in is wrong...

http://www.toyotapartseast.com/Page_...3551,3557,3558

This is how I bought the one that is wrong:
http://www.toyotapartseast.com/parts...er-contro.html I copied the PN posted above and pasted it into the search feild and checked out....

Im going to call them at 11am when they open and see if I can return / exchange it because I have no intentions of ever owning a Scion!!