Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rocker Panel Kit or "Body Armor"

Old 09-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
cobb.bd is on a distinguished road
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Rocker Panel Kit or "Body Armor"

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to locate a set of rocker panel gaurds for my 1998 Toyota Tacoma. I have searched both the forums and google and have had a hard time locating anything. Does anyone have any experience with a rocker panel kit, I was looking for something in black or I could of course paint it.

As always, I appreciate the help.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Search for "sliders" not rocker panel kit.
For sliders, are you referring to the bars that mount to the underside of the vehicle to prevent damage to the rocker panels? If so, that is not what I am looking for. I am looking for panels that use 3M tape and are approximately 4-5 inches wide and cover the rocker panels on trucks. Most of the time, they are made out of diamond plate.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Have you considered bed lining a strip around the bottom of your body? I feel like that would offer much more protection. Plus not look ridiculous

In the end it's your truck, just fair warning: You're not gonna find much love for anything that attaches to your truck with tape here. Especially if it's chrome.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
HeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant future

Name: Jacob
HeadlampRevamp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobb.bd View Post
For sliders, are you referring to the bars that mount to the underside of the vehicle to prevent damage to the rocker panels? If so, that is not what I am looking for. I am looking for panels that use 3M tape and are approximately 4-5 inches wide and cover the rocker panels on trucks. Most of the time, they are made out of diamond plate.
Shoot me PM. I'm a distributor for Xpel, they offer a rocker panel kit. I can offer you a discount for being a TW member.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
3rd Gen 4Runner cladding?

Aluminum diamond plate for FJs, but I'm sure you can take a hacksaw to it to fit your Taco:

http://shop.maddogoffroad.com/Diamon...4-pieces-2.htm
Old 09-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've never seen that..but I've seen people use the 3m clear adhesive shield that protects from rock chips.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
I use to own a 2007 FJ and a company offered a body armor/rocker panel kit that attached with 3M tape and screws; it was black diamond plate and looked very good and offered great protection.

I don't know about you MowTaco, but I am not looking for love on these forums...just a rocker panel kit for the Tacoma.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^ I think you are talking about the same Mad Dog kit I linked above, sold by both Mad Dog and All-Pro.

The rocker panel armor must be sacrificial, so it has to be repeatedly removable/replaceable. 3M tape is fine for that purpose.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
^ I think you are talking about the same Mad Dog kit I linked above, sold by both Mad Dog and All-Pro.

The rocker panel armor must be sacrificial, so it has to be repeatedly removable/replaceable. 3M tape is fine for that purpose.
Yes, that kit is what I am referring to as that is where my idea comes from. So, besides cutting the above referenced kit to fit, does anyone know of a similar kit for the Tacoma. I will most likely paint it black if it comes in aluminium diamond plate.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #12
Cvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Cory
Cvd2312's Tacoma Gallery
I think you are referring to the rocker panels that I have on my truck. They were a christmas gift from my brother, he bought them online but I'm not sure where....
Old 09-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #13
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvd2312 View Post
I think you are referring to the rocker panels that I have on my truck. They were a christmas gift from my brother, he bought them online but I'm not sure where....
Any pictures?
Old 09-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #14
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Like KenLyns was referring to, this is what I am looking for but for the Tacoma...
Attached Thumbnails
Rocker Panel Kit or "Body Armor"-fullbodykit-400w.jpg   Rocker Panel Kit or "Body Armor"-bodyarmor1.jpg  
Old 09-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #15
Cvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Cory
Cvd2312's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobb.bd View Post
Any pictures?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #16
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
that looks awesome!