Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

heavy duty suspension

Old 09-28-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
green machine is on a distinguished road

Name: Frank
green machine's Tacoma Gallery
heavy duty suspension

Any suggestions on beefing up the rear suspension for heavy hauling on on first gen? I haul a lot of wood through out the year for my wood burner. I probably haul too much weight but the old girl just keeps trucking. If, and when, my stock back shocks go i would like to make some up grades.

thoughts?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Allpro expedition leafs. They take 400lbs before they sag. However they do give like 4'' of lift..

So with those you'd need a longer brake cable for the rear. Might as well lift the front too with billy 5100s and Eibach coils. You'll need extended travel rear shocks as well.

Then you'll realize your tires are too small and want to upgrade those but you dont NEED to.

All in all, new leafs is the best you can do. Expo leafs are the most heavy duty ones you can buy right now.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
If you're hauling a lot of weight frequently, then I'd look at some custom leaves like Alcan or Deavers.

Some seem happy with the AllPro Expo leaves.

I've been happy with my OME Dakars, but ONLY with the D6XL extra leaf added. the Dakars won't handle your weight with the AAL.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't really want lift, but do haul a lot weight from time to time, I would suggest a set of TIMBRENS and a new set of Shocks to help dampen the load.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/9504tacotimbren.htm
Old 09-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
Talbotman is on a distinguished road

Name: Joel
Talbotman's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Talbotman
i would suggest getting some load leveling air bags. i got a set of air bags and fabbed up some mounts and just ran some air lines, the longest part was fabbing up the mounts but they helped me pull 5,000 lbs of olives with a 16 foot trailer and my truck didnt squat at all
Old 09-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
That's a lot of olives
Old 09-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
Talbotman is on a distinguished road

Name: Joel
Talbotman's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Talbotman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
That's a lot of olives
yeah they make extra virgin olive oil lol
Old 09-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #8
richsteele is on a distinguished road

Navy: SH-60B Weapons System Tech (Avionics)
richsteele's Tacoma Gallery
Another suggestion - Northwest Off-Road makes heavy duty replacement rear springs. They claim 700 lbs. additional load capacity with only 3/4" lift over stock springs. I haven't found very much on the forum about them but maybe if someone has them they'll post a review.

northwestoffroad.com/parts/2stage.php
Old 09-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Cjd is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Cjd's Tacoma Gallery
For shocks check into Monomax I have them and they are STOUT they about beat me to death though on rough roads if I aint hauling anything