Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dc vs extended for offroad

Old 09-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
EdubSam has a spectacular aura aboutEdubSam has a spectacular aura about
Name: Sam
EdubSam's Tacoma Gallery
Dc vs extended for offroad

So, I'm looking into getting a Tacoma. I was about set in a t4r, but I think a taco is more up my ally.

I really like the 01 dc's. The only down side is that I can't get a 5 speed. The big factor for me is interior room. I want the 4 doors, but I want a bed too.

I know the extended cans don't have shit as far as the backseat is concerned.

This will be my DD as well as toy. I don't plan on any really technical crawling. I'm more of a go fast guy. Dunes, bad dirt roads, ect. I would like to be able to do limited crawling though. How would the DC be for that kind of thing?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The DC will be fine. Many use the DC for different types of offroading.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
DC will be fine off road, a rear locker will help a shit ton if your worried.
Swap a 5 speed in if you really want it..it's a fairly huge task but easy if you have the time and are mechanically inclined.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
whats more important to you? Interior room or having a 5 speed?

I have a Xtracab 5spd and I don't think the rear seats are that small. Perfect for a little bit of extra storage if I need it. I also usually go places by myself or with only one other person. And if the poeple aren't huge, they wont be that uncomfortable in the back. I'm 5'10'' 230# and fairly comfortable in the back seats.

IMO, having a 5 speed and compromising a bit of extra space is worth it. Although sometimes I wish I had a DC..
Old 09-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
EdubSam's Tacoma Gallery
I was planning on the locker.

To be honest, the 5 speed isn't a deal breaker. I just wanted if for the little extra power and mpg is gives.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
I LOVE my DC even without a manual trans. Works great off-road.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
I chose 5 speed, im glad I did.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:15 AM   #9
pairodice is on a distinguished road

Name: Jay
pairodice's Tacoma Gallery
i can go a bit farther than my friend that has a ex cab in 2wd. more weight on the rear wheels i guess. 5 speed double cab would be nice. auto tranny sucks
Old 09-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
EdubSam's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my thinking...

Get a dc and enjoy it until I can't enjoy it anymore. Then swap in a 5 speed
Old 09-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #11
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like a plan