1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First generation rear u-joint problems

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SHOULDNOTBE, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Sep 30, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    SHOULDNOTBE

SHOULDNOTBE [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '96 Tacoma
    Hello. I'm new to this site and have been trying to find any solutions to my problem.
    I have a '96 Tacoma, 5-speed manual trans, 4X4, extended cab with 380,000kms. I started to notice a U-joint squeak a little while ago and isolated it to be coming from the center portion of the rear shaft (double Cardan joint) and after some digging, found that I'm unable to replace that section without replacing the entire portion of the rear shaft ($1300 for the part).
    Just wondering if anyone has tried to replace that rear portion of the shaft with one that does not use the double Cardan style joint. My truck is not lifted and the angle of the shaft is not very steep at all. Seems kind of redundant to have that joint set up the way it is.
    Any ideas?

2. Sep 30, 2011 at 9:20 AM
    beefcake

beefcake J-rob

Member:
    First Name:
    J-Rob
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    98 4WD V6
    Debadged,Deck Plate mod, Helix throttle body spacer, magnaflow two chamber, smoked corner marker lamps, cb radio, smoked headlights, grillcraft mesh grill, URD short throw shifter, ultagauge, billstein 5100 front struts, spidertrax 1.25 spacers on all four
    for the price of that i would suggest finding yourself a one peace drive shaft, i have never had any problems with my u joints. Do you grease your zerks often? i know your truck has alot of miles on it so either way its just worn out parts.... let me search and ill find the guy who does the solid drive shafts i have heard good things about him.

3. Sep 30, 2011 at 9:29 AM
    Tylerm5000

Tylerm5000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7l reg cab 4x4 5-speed red pearl
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    There is a guy on eBay that rebuilds them with the Cardan joint. They look really good. He even replaces the u-joints in the Cardan joint with Spicer u-joints. They look pretty beefed-up. That pivot joint could be fixed by having a professional rebuild the joint. Where I live, Six State Distributors in Portland fixes all drive lines.

Search eBay for Tacoma drive shaft. They are less than what you were quoted for.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top