Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

'96 to '02 Front end swap

Old 09-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
4runnin coma is on a distinguished road
Name: Ephram
4runnin coma's Tacoma Gallery
'96 to '02 Front end swap

Alright so I f'ed up my front end on my tacoma and i'm gonna replace it soon, but what i'm wondering is how much work is ahead for me if I want to switch the front end from the old '96 square headlights and 1 piece grill to the newer '02 style headlights and grill or even like a '98 headlights and grill.

Will I have to change out the radiator support? Fenders? Hood? just looking for a little help and guidance, sorry if this has already been covered I searched and couldn't turn up anything.

Thanks in advance,
E
Old 09-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You'll need:

Core support
Fenders
Hood
Grill
Headlights
Corner Lights

It's pretty much a direct swapper.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Search this topic on CustomTacos.com
It's widely covered over there and has been done 10+ times for sure on various trucks.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
Ill have to go check over there, used to be a member but it was too dang confusing to find anything through all the lowrider tacos.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
I may end up just replacing the stock '96 parts because my bushwhacker fender flares are molded into the body and if i have to change the fenders ill have to figure out how to get the rear flares off too and then do alot of body work to make it look nice again.

Maybe ill just do a satoshi '96 grill to change the look up a little bit, i wanna find a picture of it first if anyone else done it before.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Andrew
ALawrence's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
that is a clean looking truck! those bumpers with the light hoop are awesome.

and to be on topic, the grill swap looks great too.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
no fenders, just hood,grill, headlights,bumper...
Old 10-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
I'll eat all your food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
Uhm no..the bumper will look funky on those fenders..all 2001-2004 came with 4x4 fenders...have a different shape and flare on them.

Your corner lights won't fit right on 96 fenders.
Also the bumper will look stupid on 96 fenders.

So either replace all or replace everything except fenders and bumper and have misfitting corner lights.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
Dr. Frankenstien, in surgery
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALawrence View Post
that is a clean looking truck! those bumpers with the light hoop are awesome.

and to be on topic, the grill swap looks great too.
you can buy the bumpers from Tim, thats his truck. He runs Elite Off-Road. I just bought on of his bumpers.

Id keep the older grill man. I love how it slightly resembles the older trucks.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #12
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
X2 im pretty sure they have the same fenders
Old 10-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #13
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
x2^^^^ same fenders, you can google is you want.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #14

Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Google if you want*
Old 10-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #15
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Andrew
ALawrence's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
you can buy the bumpers from Tim, thats his truck. He runs Elite Off-Road. I just bought on of his bumpers.

Id keep the older grill man. I love how it slightly resembles the older trucks.

Yeah i'd buy one of Elite bumpers in a heart beat... probably one of the best looking first gen bumpers i've seen.

someday i'll get one... just got to buy a new central air unit for the house, the drive way needs extented to fit both cars, the wife wants matching bedroom furniture... then a storm shelter for the house...

if its not one thing it'll be another.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #16
Ok so I think you guys convinced me to keep the '96 grill that satoshi one looks sick, I was looking for some non-chrome replacement ones and seen the 2wd grill looks a lil bit cooler than the 4wd one with the 3 different little sections

Will the 2wd grill fit the 4wd model?

And I too would love to get one of those elite bumpers they look soooo good compared to a ARB, or shrockworks or any of the other companies ive seen the elite offroad bumper looks way better, although it is a tough choice between the new outdoorlogic taco bumper and the elite offroad one....
Old 10-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #17
also in that build thread you posted, does anyone know what sliders those are I really like the big kickout on them