Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Power Steering leak? You tell me...

Old 09-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Power Steering leak? You tell me...

Residue inside airbox.

I've tried looking for the source of the leak, thinking it's a seal.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Is the power steering low? How'd you get residue INSIDE the air box?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Is the power steering low? How'd you get residue INSIDE the air box?
It was low and making the "moan" awhile back I filled it up and the level has been consistent since then. The residue in the box... I'm thinking that it's getting in through the (stock) small hole in the bottom right of the box (beneath the air filter clip). It's also on the outside of the box nearest to the P.S and being flung onto the hood.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
Cheyenne Trail Crew

Old 10-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaEcho2k5 View Post
It was low and making the "moan" awhile back I filled it up and the level has been consistent since then. The residue in the box... I'm thinking that it's getting in through the (stock) small hole in the bottom right of the box (beneath the air filter clip). It's also on the outside of the box nearest to the P.S and being flung onto the hood.
That makes sense. For the fluid to be allover the inside like that, I'd say the shaft seal is bad.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
4x4Tacoma01 has a spectacular aura about4x4Tacoma01 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Holly
4x4Tacoma01's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4x4Tacoma01
I have the same issue with my truck, I ended up replacing the seals. It solved the problem. I was going threw about a quart of ps fluid a week lol.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
I think I have the same problem.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179054
Old 10-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
Cheyenne Trail Crew

Thanks guys/gal!
Old 03-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
OP, what did you end up doing? Replacing reservoir, pump, shaft seal? Rebuild?

Looking to do this soon.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
Cheyenne Trail Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshak View Post
OP, what did you end up doing? Replacing reservoir, pump, shaft seal? Rebuild?

Looking to do this soon.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #11
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Did you already replace the pump or just have it on order? Did you ever find the exact location of your leak? Hose, resi, gasket?
Old 03-31-2012, 06:13 AM   #12
Cheyenne Trail Crew

I replaced the pump with the one above for $81 and a warranty, I said wth. I have a PS cooler on the way should be here next week. Leak was a seal in the pump.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
A little late...but you should be able to easily 'find' a power steering leak by jacking up the front end, have a buddy in the cap and turn the steering wheel while you poke your head under the hood and look.

True story here - a family friend of ours had a power steering leak. He admitted that every DAY he was putting a quart of fluid in the resevoir. He had us take a look at it.... Jacked up the front end, turned the steering wheel... my god, it was like a frigin garden sprinkler and just about shot me in the eye!!!! Why..oh why.....do people let this shit go???
Old 03-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #14

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
That's my issue I posted in my other thread here. It's a caked mess in that area but I'm NOT losing fluid... I'm not saying this is okay but the cake must have stopped it. Now I don't know where to start or look.

I attached the picture from my other thread. Picture taken from front of truck. Top right is reservoir and to the left is my air box.
Attached Thumbnails
Power Steering leak? You tell me...-img_1410.jpg  
Old 03-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boshak View Post
That's my issue I posted in my other thread here. It's a caked mess in that area but I'm NOT losing fluid... I'm not saying this is okay but the cake must have stopped it. Now I don't know where to start or look.

I attached the picture from my other thread. Picture taken from front of truck. Top right is reservoir and to the left is my air box.
The 'cake' won't stop a leak. A leak is what creates the 'cake' .

The first thing you need to do, is clean up all the cake. You can't visualize where the leak is if the residue is covering it.

Steering lines have High & low pressure lines. High pressure lines are the lines that generate your steering and are under high pressure. Lower pressure lines are the fluid return lines. You can tell the difference by the lines themselves. The high pressure lines are metal and/or rubber (looking from the outside) but have crimped steal ends. Low pressure lines are usually just rubber with hose clamps.

High pressure line leaks should show up (if large enough of a leak) when you jack the front end up, engine running, and turn the steering wheel while someone else looks around in the engine bay. Everytime the steering wheel turns, you should see a leak if there is one (and large enough to visualize it oozing out). Low pressure lines won't be as 'easy' to spot.

All in all - clean up the entire area free of 'cake' and oils - and check the area again in a week or so and see if you can spot new oils and where its coming from.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #16

boshak's Tacoma Gallery
All cleaned up, no leaks present and no sign of fluid getting lower. I'll keep monitoring it though.