Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Correct fluid for power steering on 1998 Tacoma

Old 10-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
mark5634 is on a distinguished road
mark5634's Tacoma Gallery
Correct fluid for power steering on 1998 Tacoma

I had my 1998 Tacoma 2wd Xtra Cab pickup power steering system flushed and serviced at my local Toyota dealer about a year ago and just discovered today that the fluid they refilled it with is Blue Mountain professional brand power steering fluid. It does not say that it is ATF type Dexron II or III compliant. It says only that it mixes with all other power steering fluids. The owner's manual to my truck and the power steering cap says to use Automatic Transmission Fluid Type Dexron II or III to refill the power steering system. Does anybody know if the Blue Mountain power steering fluid is harmful to the Tacoma power steering system?
Old 10-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
00PreRunner is on a distinguished road

00PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Never hear of it but I run Lucas Power steering and have never had a problem out of it.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Use tranny fluid. NOTHING ELSE
Old 10-08-2011, 12:08 AM   #4
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Power Steering fluid will F up your power steering pump. This is what me and many other guys use.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/br...ssion-fluid/37

Learn how to change the fluids yourself because most places don't care what they put in your truck. They just use the standard fluids they have in their garage. They're not concerned with your specific needs.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Our tacos call for Dex III or equivalent ATF.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #6
Pilot of The Colonel
Roldaddy is on a distinguished road

Roldaddy's Tacoma Gallery
always used dot 3.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Use tranny fluid. NOTHING ELSE
I use PS fluid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
Power Steering fluid will F up your power steering pump. This is what me and many other guys use.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/br...ssion-fluid/37

Learn how to change the fluids yourself because most places don't care what they put in your truck. They just use the standard fluids they have in their garage. They're not concerned with your specific needs.

PS fluid will not F up your PS pump, if you mix the 2 it can, thats where people have problems, when working on Tacomas I see about 50% of them running clear fluid (PS fluid). When mixing the two they tend to foam and thats where you have loss of hydraulic function..

The big difference is PS fluis is not flammable, trans fluid is, so in the event of a front end collision it could start a fire, however since an automatic has a heat exchanger in the radiator it will leak trnas fluid anyway, so...

My recomendation is just to use whats in there, if its red use dextron, if clear use PS fluid.

In my personal truck I always ran PS fluid and had over 180,000 miles with no problems whatosever.

Just dont mix the fluids is the most important thing..they will both work just fine, I know this from over 20 years of first hand experience..
Old 10-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
All I know is that the PS resi cap says to use Dextron III ATF...so I do. It had regular PS fluid in it, so I did a good flush and replaced it with Dex III.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I put Redline MT90 in my old Tacoma
the guy who bought it hasn't had a problem since then
(he called me a couple days ago asking about how to do a BPV flip)
Old 10-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
tnt136913 is on a distinguished road
tnt136913's Tacoma Gallery
brake fluid

my 03 pre runner has brake fluid from the factory , yea i sh-t to,, but it does make sense
Old 10-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
All I know is that the PS resi cap says to use Dextron III ATF...so I do. It had regular PS fluid in it, so I did a good flush and replaced it with Dex III.
Yeah thats fine they do the same thing, just as long as you flushed it like you said its totally fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt136913 View Post
my 03 pre runner has brake fluid from the factory , yea i sh-t to,, but it does make sense
Power steering fluid not brake fluid.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #12
Newb
ERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ERG80's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Freek View Post
I use PS fluid...

PS fluid will not F up your PS pump, if you mix the 2 it can, thats where people have problems, when working on Tacomas I see about 50% of them running clear fluid (PS fluid). When mixing the two they tend to foam and thats where you have loss of hydraulic function..

The big difference is PS fluis is not flammable, trans fluid is, so in the event of a front end collision it could start a fire, however since an automatic has a heat exchanger in the radiator it will leak trnas fluid anyway, so...

My recomendation is just to use whats in there, if its red use dextron, if clear use PS fluid.

In my personal truck I always ran PS fluid and had over 180,000 miles with no problems whatosever.

Just dont mix the fluids is the most important thing..they will both work just fine, I know this from over 20 years of first hand experience..

What kind of PS fluid are you using?
I put Mobil DTE light hydraulic fluid in my Cruiser when i installed a PS cooler. Been running it for years. It really quieted and smoothed the steering pump.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #13
Damit man
BoTacoGA is on a distinguished road

Name: Bo
BoTacoGA's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious, what is the difference between the clear an red ps fluid? An anyone think Toyota ws trans fluid would work good in there?
Old 10-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
Paulie is on a distinguished road
Name: Paulie
Paulie's Tacoma Gallery
Amsoil DEX III
Old 10-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #15
Damit man

Is Dex/Marc an Dex III the same thing? Just flushed it an put Dex/Marc in an seen a little foaming. It had the red stuff in it from factory an the cap said Dextron. I also bought a small trans cooler Im going to install as a PS cooler. Any idea's on good locations an good ways to mount it?
Old 10-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #16

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
I dont think its the same thing, but I think its close enough. After flushing your PS system its okay to see a bit of foam, its just air in the system that needs to be bled out.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #18

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
jack up your front end w/ the tires off the ground and remove the PS resi cap. Turn the wheels back and forth (avoiding full lock) about 20 times. Let it sit off for about 30 mins then let it idle and check for foam/bubbles. Repeat till no foam/bubbles.

edit:

Is it more foamy or bubbles? Foam may be bad, but a little bit of aeration is from air in the system.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:40 AM   #19
Damit man

It was only foamy/bubbly ( kinda in between ) about half way down. I pumped it out an refilled. Did the back an forth with the wheels an it was good. Thanks
Old 10-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #20

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
good to hear!