Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My new bed cargo basket

Old 10-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
My new bed cargo basket

So I've been working on this project for quite a while now and it's almost done. This is how its gone....

I got a Surco Safari Basket for fairly cheap on Craigslist a while ago. It was in pretty rough shape and I planned on refinishing it. I completely disassembled it, sanded it, and put about 4-5 coats of rustoleum paint on it. A lot of the rivets had come out so I drilled extra holes and put in 48 bolts for added strength (adds a nice look too). I got new end caps and mounting hardware.

I decided to mount it over my bed since it was pretty big. I got a set of Thule roof tracks and mounted them on my bed rails. Set up a standard Yakima rack on the tracks that goes over my tonneau cover and the basket mounts to that.

On to the pics. This is what the basket was like when I got it...

And this is how it sits tonight....

Still need to put a few more bolts in when I can cut them shorter and get longer load bars for the yakima rack... the current ones are barely long enough.

Future plans include: LED lights on the side for surround lighting, hi-lift mount, shovel mount, and spare tire mount.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
acidfly is a jewel in the roughacidfly is a jewel in the roughacidfly is a jewel in the rough
Navy:
Name: Kevin
acidfly's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great, I just picked up a Yakima Loadwarrior rack today in fact for the same concept. What mounts and bars did you use? I was thinking of having some welded out of aluminum, but buying the setup my be easier.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfly View Post
Looks great, I just picked up a Yakima Loadwarrior rack today in fact for the same concept. What mounts and bars did you use? I was thinking of having some welded out of aluminum, but buying the setup my be easier.
what do you mean "mounts"? how its mounted to the truck? the towers? or how the basket is mounted to the bars?

the bars are yakima 58" load bars... they are barely long enough. i'm going to get a set of 68" bars and cut them down to about 63".
Old 10-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
acidfly is a jewel in the roughacidfly is a jewel in the roughacidfly is a jewel in the rough
Navy:
Name: Kevin
acidfly's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, towers and bars... after looking at prices ill prolly stick to the original idea and weld up an aluminum frame
Old 10-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
rabble rabble rabble

dud122's Tacoma Gallery
i am using a set of yakima rail riders... the older version of the control towers.

i have an extra set if your looking for some.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
beef tube is on a distinguished road
beef tube's Tacoma Gallery
Out of curiosity, what brand tonneau cover allows for the Yakima/Thule mounts to attach to it like that?

Or do I just have a fundamental misunderstanding of how those mounts work and they'll actually work on anything?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
Browncoat
Stoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to allStoic is a name known to all

Stoic's Tacoma Gallery
I love this. You got a truck bed for your truck bed.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
Faryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mic
Faryota's Tacoma Gallery
I like that!!! Nice....