1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rear lockers

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 98_Mud_bug, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Nov 3, 2008 at 7:45 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug [OP] 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    i couldnt figure out where to put this thread so i'll go here since mine is a 98 lol in everyones honest opinion which would be easier or more efficient doing a rear end swap and putting the entire rear axle and all under my sr5 or would it be more cost efficient to put a detroit electric lock in my existing rear housing? has anybody ever done this? i'm just lookin for more traction going up hill in ruts and wet grass no pavement.. the tires are way too expensive i noticed the other day that when i went up a rut behind my house i had to take a second shot at it because i lost traction with my right rear

2. Nov 3, 2008 at 7:56 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    What about a lock right? They are about $250.00 and a drop in install.

3. Nov 3, 2008 at 8:04 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Yes I agree. Go aftermarket with a locker instead of trying to get a TRD 3rd to work.

4. Nov 3, 2008 at 8:08 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It's all about time & money.

You've gotta research how much money each of your options (or any other option) is gonna cost - and weigh which is best for YOU.

For an axle swap - are you even able to find exactly what you need? And at what cost? How much time will it take YOU or a professional take to install it? Any pro's or con's ?

Buying aftermarket parts/lockers is probably easier and you can have the parts in a matter of days. Installation will depend on what you buy and what you plan to tackle yourself (if any). Cost?

For example: You've got a neighbor with an axle exactly what you need and you have a buddy who said he'd install it all for you for a case of beer.... Can't beat that!!!

Or - if you're not lucky enough to have that sort of situation jump in your lap, an aftermarket locker is the best option.

5. Nov 3, 2008 at 9:03 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug [OP] 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    see i knew there was a reason i came here ha i was just wondering which would be the most dependable i have a full shop with lifts and all so i have the place to install it.. and i'm pretty mechanically inclined... any recomendations to websites for good trustworthy lockers? and which is better? air or electric lock

6. Nov 3, 2008 at 10:07 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Which type locker are you looking for? Selectable or non?

Like Chris already mentioned - the LockRight
    There's also the Aussie locker & Detroit E-Z locker (to name a few).

If you're looking for selectable lockers, there's the ARB & Toyota e-locker.
    Ox makes 'em and Auburn makes a limited slip version that's selectable to full lock. I'm not sure Ox or Auburn makes toyota applications.

Products Discussed in

To Top