1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ceramic vs stainless vs titanium headers

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by makikid808, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Oct 24, 2011 at 6:05 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:

That's fantastic, but you're not the only one whose been around the block. You may have been a fabricator, but not a tuner. I've been building, rebuilding, and racing sportbikes for 10 years. Header wrap is used in almost every professional racing circuit till this date. It's used on most Jack Roush's and Yates engines, Saleens, AMA Pro, SCCA, NHRA, Yamaha Racing, Subaru Performance Tuning to name a few.

You can blast off your opinion all day long, but there are hundreds of professional racing teams using header wrap especially for high HP engines. It's used on everything from headers to manifolds, to down pipes to turbos. Plus Scavenging is not fiction, it's SCIENTIFIC FACT. An engine that can dispose of spent exhaust gases faster is going to run more efficiently. Now how much it will make a difference on a little 190HP V6 Tacoma that weighs just under 4,000 lbs. probably negligible.

2. Oct 24, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    You may want to google why there are coatings and/or wraps on headers cuz ya don't seem to know why.

3. Oct 24, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    Bobber Bill

Bobber Bill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Daily Driver
    Well you can't really compare stainless to ceramic. Stainless steel is the material that the actual header tubes are made of. "Ceramic" is a baked on coating. It can be applied to any metal surface.

Types of metals commonly used for modern headers:

- mild steel
    - stainless steel
    - titanium

Types of heat insulating coverings/coatings:

- Jet Hot
    - Various ceramics
    - Thermo-Tec / DEI Header wraps

That being said, stainless steel is the standard for tube headers. There is no need (from a corrosion standpoint) for any coatings with stainless. Your engine bay will be no hotter than it is now. The stock headers are already stainless steel, just not as free-flowing as aftermarket tubular ones.

Will your intake temperatures be cooler if your headers were ceramic-coated? Possibly. Will you see any HP gains from having the coating? Very unlikely.

I would highly recommend going with a stainless steel tube header. That is without a doubt what I would go with if I were looking for headers.

4. Oct 24, 2011 at 9:27 PM
    Bobber Bill

Bobber Bill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Daily Driver
    How do you know if I haven't programmed race fuel maps? How do you know if I have no experience with MOTO GP race technology? You don't. Do I have WSBK and MOTO GP race parts sitting in front of me everyday? You bet your ass I do. I have forgotten more about moto racing than you will ever know.

That being said, you're missing the point. I never said that header wraps were useless. Just that they're not going to change anything in this type of application.

just :facepalm:for you...

5. Oct 25, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:

I don't know or care what you do, but you presented yourself as a "metal fabricator for a few years" not a tuner, programmer etc.When you go into a thread saying that "I kinda know what I'm talking about" you better believe I'm going to call you out. That being said I came in to offer more information on the topic since this is a product I've been working with since the early 2000s.

6. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

Oh ok tuner bro

7. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    well...this thread took a shit

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top