Ceramic vs stainless vs titanium headers

Old 10-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
They call me unko
makikid808 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kamaki
makikid808's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to makikid808
Ceramic vs stainless vs titanium headers

Is there really a difference between the headers such as the ceramic or stainless or the titanium. If there is what's the pros and cons of them
Old 10-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Wombat
romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedromeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Mechanic/Security
Name: Luis
romeo's Tacoma Gallery
im interested in the answers as well
Old 10-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
idk what the advantage of titanium would be in a header...sounds really expensive.

My LCE header is ceramic coated stainless...best option IMO

Stainless prevents corroision while the ceramic coating contains heat and adds more corrosion and stain protection.

And remember you get what you pay for, especially in a header.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
They call me unko

Woow. Yea idk bout that titanium header sounds like it's just something u get to brag about. I think the ceramic might be the one. I was jus trying to see what ideas were out there. Isn't there a header wrap that you could use to keep the heat in
Old 10-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
lots of companies dont recommend using a header wrap on their headers, IIRC its because it absorbs moisture and make the header rust underneath. My LCE ceramic header keeps down the heat pretty well. I wouldn't worry too much about heat in your engine bay from a header.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
They call me unko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
lots of companies dont recommend using a header wrap on their headers, IIRC its because it absorbs moisture and make the header rust underneath. My LCE ceramic header keeps down the heat pretty well. I wouldn't worry too much about heat in your engine bay from a header.
I was looking at some DT ceramic headers for the full cat4ward system. I looked up LCE and they don't have any for my 3.4 which is sickening cause the DT header is super expensive.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #8

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, I noticed that, but any V6 header is going to be pretty expensive because its two headers instead of one. My LCE for my 2.7 was ~$480.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
They call me unko

Quote:
yeah, I noticed that, but any V6 header is going to be pretty expensive because its two headers instead of one. My LCE for my 2.7 was ~$480.
These are the times I wish I had a 4 banger. I got a quote for the DT ceramic at around 920. That's more than my intake and exhaust together damn.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #10

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery

I thought I saw a DT header on www.lceperformance.com for like $750
Old 10-17-2011, 11:20 PM   #11
They call me unko

Quote:

I thought I saw a DT header on www.lceperformance.com for like $750

i saw that to but it pretty much maches up to my quote with the shipping together. shipping anything to HI is such a pain
Old 10-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #12

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
ah, gotcha, didn't see you were in HI
Old 10-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
lots of companies dont recommend using a header wrap on their headers, IIRC its because it absorbs moisture and make the header rust underneath

This is NOT true. I've been using ThermoTec header wrap on sportbikes for the last 8 years, some of them setup for track and some were setup for street. Remember header wrap is partially made from the fibers of fiberglass with a high thread count canvas type material. That being said when it gets wet it doesn't absorb and or retain water like clothing material. Secondly and most importantly the boiling point of water is 212F. Any moisture that is left will be burned off after one run. Here is a pic of one of the many exhaust wraps I've done over the years. This was for my Yamaha R1.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
Bobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bobber Bill's Tacoma Gallery
Ceramic coatings:

- generally applied to mild steel pipes, but not always
- prevents corrosion on outside of pipes
- used for heat retention properties (keeps heat in, less radiates out)

Stainless Steel:

- corrosion resistant
- needs no coating

Titanium:

- corrosion resistant
- considerably stronger and lighter than steel alloys
- primarily used in racing
Old 10-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #15

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
This is NOT true. I've been using ThermoTec header wrap on sportbikes for the last 8 years, some of them setup for track and some were setup for street. Remember header wrap is partially made from the fibers of fiberglass with a high thread count canvas type material. That being said when it gets wet it doesn't absorb and or retain water like clothing material. Secondly and most importantly the boiling point of water is 212F. Any moisture that is left will be burned off after one run. Here is a pic of one of the many exhaust wraps I've done over the years. This was for my Yamaha R1.

I see.

My LCE header came with literature that said not to wrap them. The ceramic coating does good at keeping the heat down.

IMO, the header wraps look kinda...crappy...I know they help keep the heat down, especially on a bike when the exhaust runs next to your legs and in front of you. I just hate the way they look, especially the white ones that absorb all the dirt, dust, ect..

To each his own
Old 10-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #16
707eric is on a distinguished road
707eric's Tacoma Gallery
Could always look at getting a set of headers then having them coated by a company like Jet-Hot. No idea what the cost is, I just rememeber we used their coating for our 240sx race car back in high school.

www.jet-hot.com
Old 10-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #17
Yo! Wat up peeps?
1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future

1Bigbird's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post

True, but if you live where it snows the salt can get trapped in the fibers (along with dirt) and cause premature corrosion. Shouldn't be a problem with stainless though.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #18
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
iirc I believe reading somewhere that header wrap overheats the headers themselves while keeping the bay and surrounding parts cooler. So your bay may be cooler but you may warp your headers and anything they come into contact with
Old 10-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #19
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Corrosion will be not be a problem with modern headers. The reason you hear the myth of rust underneath is because back in the 70s and 80s when headers were either made out of cast iron or regular aluminum this was the case. However now almost every single aftermarket header is offered with some kind of corrosion proof metal or coating either stainless, jet hot, ceramic, or titanium.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #20
Grantman is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Grant
Grantman's Tacoma Gallery
So what is the purpose of the wrap other than cutting down on the heat under the hood in the engine bay? Are there any performance gains?