Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Snorkel tubing size options

Old 10-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
SargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
SargeSlapnuts's Tacoma Gallery
Snorkel tubing size options

Well im going to try to make my own snorkel.

the 3" tubing i was going to use is to large to make a clean bend with out going to far outside the truck.

my real question is if 2" tubing small enough to restrict air flow to the point of power loss or will it still allow the ram air effect to happen while driving.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
I used a 2.5" PVC pipe.. It's kinda rare I think to find it in that size, but its the perfect size.

Haha my only good snorkel picture, and its pre SAS!

Old 10-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd. i was also planning on making my own since there's no way i'm paying $400 for a snorkel.....
Old 10-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
SargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
well i would buy it if it wasn't $400!!!!! thats a bit whacked for what is essintially a peice of plastic just because they have a monopoly on the snorkel market. i would rather say i designed and built some thing instead of buying something and bolting it on my truck.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeSlapnuts View Post
well i would buy it if it wasn't $400!!!!! thats a bit whacked for what is essintially a peice of plastic just because they have a monopoly on the snorkel market. i would rather say i designed and built some thing instead of buying something and bolting it on my truck.
Id rather spend a little more for something i know works and looks good. Plenty of people have safari snorkels, its not that ridiculous of a price.

As for your original question, i have no clue.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco 22 View Post
Id rather spend a little more for something i know works and looks good. Plenty of people have safari snorkels, its not that ridiculous of a price.

to each their own but if there is one thing i will say is that i enjoy tackling new projects and if something doesn't work i fix it but i rarely have this problem. i take my time with things and make sure they come out very, very nicely and well built. i dont really care about looks. i care if it works or not.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
hard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
hard2kill's Tacoma Gallery
i spent 25,000 on my truck..i wanted something that fit perfectly was designed to keep rain water out while driving and you could drive over and wouldnt crack.....no one will get pvc or anything similar to fit and perform like the real thing....with that being said i do respect you for tackling your own custom projects i have and do many of my own...certain things i just dont skimp on...
Old 10-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Its not like its a complex piece of machinery that has thousands of hours of engineering in it. Its a plastic conduit and can be replicated to perform identically to the safari version. With some moderate effort you can make your own that will look good and work just the same. Take some measurements off a safari snorkel and go at it.

Supra TT's snorkel looks great.

$400 for a molded piece of plastic is pretty ridiculous...imho..
Old 10-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
Its not like its a complex piece of machinery that has thousands of hours of engineering in it. Its a plastic conduit and can be replicated to perform identically to the safari version. With some moderate effort you can make your own that will look good and work just the same. Take some measurements off a safari snorkel and go at it.

To each their own
Old 10-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #12
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
I used a 2.5" PVC pipe.. It's kinda rare I think to find it in that size, but its the perfect size.

Haha my only good snorkel picture, and its pre SAS!

bahaha! I don't think I've seen a pic of your truck before the SAS. lol

But, yeah your snorkel looks great! Have you run in to any problems with it breaking or leaking?

BTW, I'm just curious, what's written (in white) on the side of it?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #13
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
To each their own

Old 10-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post

Thanks, I spent $125 on it, and thats including the $85 Safari Snorkel head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
bahaha! I don't think I've seen a pic of your truck before the SAS. lol

But, yeah your snorkel looks great! Have you run in to any problems with it breaking or leaking?

BTW, I'm just curious, what's written (in white) on the side of it?
Yeah it's cute isn't it?

I broke it once, wasn't watching my passenger side and a stump sticking out of the riverbed busted it off.

It doesn't leak, and is sealed 100%, hand over the snorkel will kill the truck isntantly.

The saying on the side says "Toyota, like nothing else" ~It's strictly making fun of Hummer's, cuz they are gay.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #16
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard2kill View Post
i spent 25,000 on my truck..i wanted something that fit perfectly was designed to keep rain water out while driving and you could drive over and wouldnt crack.....no one will get pvc or anything similar to fit and perform like the real thing....with that being said i do respect you for tackling your own custom projects i have and do many of my own...certain things i just dont skimp on...
I agree with you on spending endless amounts of money it seems on a new vehicle, and if I had a 2nd gen I would too buy the real deal, since it is formed and mounted better on the trucks, because you truley get what you pay for.

However, many people don't want to fork out the money for something they can do for cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard2kill View Post
badass sas my friend...nice rig
And thanks
Old 10-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #17
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sound like me on everything I touch..
Why buy it..I can fabricate, make, or modify it myself for cheaper..
Old 10-10-2011, 02:05 AM   #18
mackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nice

Marines: Sgt UH/AH1 Mech HMLA-167
Name: william
mackattack07's Tacoma Gallery
How do you have it routed and filtered under the hood
Old 10-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #19
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackattack07 View Post
How do you have it routed and filtered under the hood
I used a flex pipe, pretty sure its for an intake for the stupid ricers kinda. It follows the original intake in the fender. Epoxy, gorrilla tape, and hose clamps my friend My snorkel is 100% Sealed. Hand over the vent and truck dies instantly
Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #20
mackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nice

Marines: Sgt UH/AH1 Mech HMLA-167
Name: william
mackattack07's Tacoma Gallery
I would love to do it but I have a ricer type intake which is horrible to even be near water I gotta do some thinkin