Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cutting the back wall question

Old 10-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
whiteout is on a distinguished road
whiteout's Tacoma Gallery
Cutting the back wall question

Will i loose any structural support if i cut the back wall out?
Old 10-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Of what? House? Garage?
Old 10-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
I think he means his girlfriend.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
I think he means his girlfriend.
If so, wrong section.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BUT.....If youre talking about cutting out the rear of the cab, thats not a good idea.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
BUT.....If youre talking about cutting out the rear of the cab, thats not a good idea.
Why not?
Old 10-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Why not?
Its an integral part of the structure.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Do not cut. I see no real reason anyone would want to.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota built something called the Trekker back in the 80's. Basically a 4runner conversion put together by Winnebago. It was just a pickup with the back of the cab cut out and everything behind the cab was fiberglass. My dad had one. Looking back now it does not seem like the safest thing to be putting a family in, but it was 1981 and we all survived. I do wonder what would have happened if we'd ever wrecked it.

I have seen numerous frankenstein truck creations on the web, mostly hardcore off road trucks with cages in them. The cage obviously stiffens things up and provides the rollover protection you compromised when cutting out the cab back.

I used to work at a place that did conversion vans. We cut the roofs out and put the raised fiberglass tops on. There was some reinforcing to be done afterwards, otherwise they would creak and flex going down the road.

I think that nothing bad is going to happen immediately if you do this. I do believe you are compromising the safety of the truck if you ever wreck it. But the truck likely won't collapse on itself.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Cut the back out and let us know what happens.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Toyota built something called the Trekker back in the 80's. Basically a 4runner conversion put together by Winnebago. It was just a pickup with the back of the cab cut out and everything behind the cab was fiberglass. My dad had one. Looking back now it does not seem like the safest thing to be putting a family in, but it was 1981 and we all survived. I do wonder what would have happened if we'd ever wrecked it.

I have seen numerous frankenstein truck creations on the web, mostly hardcore off road trucks with cages in them. The cage obviously stiffens things up and provides the rollover protection you compromised when cutting out the cab back.

I used to work at a place that did conversion vans. We cut the roofs out and put the raised fiberglass tops on. There was some reinforcing to be done afterwards, otherwise they would creak and flex going down the road.

I think that nothing bad is going to happen immediately if you do this. I do believe you are compromising the safety of the truck if you ever wreck it. But the truck likely won't collapse on itself.
Never head of the Trekker, but I have seen the Dolphin..

As far as cutting the back I have seen plenty of cut through sub setups, but never seen a complete removal, that would surely be a scary thought..
Old 10-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #12
Prez of @battleborntacomas and ASSHOLE!
MOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
MOT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
This and what is the reason I would love to know porting for speakers
Old 10-09-2011, 06:34 AM   #13
awwwwww yeeeeeeeeahhhhh
mountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cory
mountainman94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
X2
Old 10-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #14
The greenmonstah
greenmonstah is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: truck guy/emt
Name: Andy
greenmonstah's Tacoma Gallery
what year do you have, and do you have a sliding rear window or sold glass ?
Old 10-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonstah View Post
what year do you have, and do you have a sliding rear window or sold glass ?
98 extra cab 4x4

What would have to be done to the body or suspension to make up for the missing sheetmeatal?
Old 10-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #16
s1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: michael
s1nner's Tacoma Gallery
its really just sheet metal back there. it has one cross brace just under the rear window that i would leave in place, or make up something else to brace it. as far as removing the sheet metal i doubt it will hurt anything, it is just there to fill a hole, it offers very little in the way of structural support. why do you want to cut it if you don't mind me asking
Old 10-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #17
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Andrew
ALawrence's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post

trekker = Winning.
someone should do something like this to a newer tacoma... it has that old school chevy blazer/ IHC scout look to it...

i think it could be made practical, with out loseing the fuctionality of the pick up bed. look at the gmc envoy xut. the back folds up creating a pick up bed. i could see reinforcing around the opening and making it work...

found this one online..
Old 10-10-2011, 03:52 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1nner View Post
its really just sheet metal back there. it has one cross brace just under the rear window that i would leave in place, or make up something else to brace it. as far as removing the sheet metal i doubt it will hurt anything, it is just there to fill a hole, it offers very little in the way of structural support. why do you want to cut it if you don't mind me asking
Kids and camping
Old 10-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #19
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALawrence View Post
trekker = Winning.
someone should do something like this to a newer tacoma... it has that old school chevy blazer/ IHC scout look to it...

i think it could be made practical, with out loseing the fuctionality of the pick up bed. look at the gmc envoy xut. the back folds up creating a pick up bed. i could see reinforcing around the opening and making it work...

found this one online..
That's in awesome shape. The few I have seen have issues with the rear hatch falling apart. On the other hand, no rust on the rear "bed" because it's fiberglass.

My dad loved that truck, he bought it brand new before there was a 4runner. He said he got people coming up to him and asking about it at the gas station a lot. They would look once, see the rear seat under the "camper shell" and then look again and decide to ask who built it. There were only 800 or so made that year. There were a couple variations of the same thing in 82 and 83, then the 4runners came out. Google Toyota Wolverine and Toyota Trailblazer also if anyone is curious.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Kids and camping
One of my customers has a mid 80's shortbed that has the cab cut out and rear seats in it. It's a heavily modified rock crawler, but he does drive it around town too. It's caged front and rear and he has harnesses and race seats. I know it would work with a cage for sure. Without a cage it would probably be okay too, but it's not going to be as safe as a 4runner would be.