1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lurches sideways on bumps

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by recon66, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Oct 9, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    recon66

recon66 [OP] New Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Hello,

This is my first truck. I bought a 2003 Tacoma V6 4x4 Auto SR5 Xtra Cab with 120 K miles. The underside was pretty rusted out. I live in VT. Toyota issued a voluntary recall for frame perforation in the snow belt. Mine was replaced together with brake lines, rear springs, front geometry. I replaced the rear shocks (factory) and the front (Bilsteins), the rear brake bell crank, new front calipers, rotors, pads (Brembo), water pump and timing belt, bed liner and tires (Yokohama Geolandar P265/70R16 111S @ OM pressure). The rack bolt was loose and was replaced and then the wheels aligned. The truck runs well, however, on some of the back roads we have in Vermont, especially after the hurricane, when I hit a series of ruts, the truck always veers to the right and requires quick correction to avoid problems. Same after hitting a large bump on blacktop. I don't experience the same problem with the Forester.

I don't know if this behavior is common to trucks or is it just mine and then what would cause it and how to correct it. Thanks.

2. Oct 9, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    whatatoy

whatatoy Galt/Rearden 2012

Member:
    SO CAL
    Vehicle:
    I like it
    This truck is a work truck - not a lot of fancy mod's here, but it's getting the job done!
    if you would replace the word lurk with bounce, I would say it's a truck and that is what they do - trucks are designed to carry loads and when they are empty, the stiff springs will make the back of the truck feel light, bouncy, etc and when you hit a bump, it will bounce up and quite often, to one side or the other. Every truck I've owned/driven has done this...

Anyone else want to chime in??

3. Oct 9, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    X2

Unless he is referring to loose steering. But any truck I have ever driven does that. The rear end literally bounces and moves one way or the other. It's just a truck thing.

4. Oct 9, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    recon66

recon66 [OP] New Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Thanks a lot for the info, guys. I will try the same run with a full load. On second thought, I don't even have to do that. When I trailer my 17 ft glass boat, there is no bounce. You are right. It is a bounce and the rear lands further west and the front goes east. Will put a couple of sandbags as ballast.

Products Discussed in

To Top