Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How do they handle in icy and snowy weather?

Old 10-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
Saltlick is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
Saltlick's Tacoma Gallery
How do they handle in icy and snowy weather?

This will be my first winter here in the northwest with a truck. ive always had my honda civic before this and every year get stuck in the snow or ice at some point. I have never had a 4x4, I am curious how they handle in the snow and ice. Tires that came on it seem to be pretty knobby, i have no money to buy rain tires so i will have to leave these on through the winter. In 4x4 mode do these trucks do pretty good in the snow? I would guess i dont need chains. how about ice? sorry i know this is a complete newb question, just wondering what to expect.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
hhmm.. Idk
Old 10-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltlick View Post
This will be my first winter here in the northwest with a truck. ive always had my honda civic before this and every year get stuck in the snow or ice at some point. I have never had a 4x4, I am curious how they handle in the snow and ice. Tires that came on it seem to be pretty knobby, i have no money to buy rain tires so i will have to leave these on through the winter. In 4x4 mode do these trucks do pretty good in the snow? I would guess i dont need chains. how about ice? sorry i know this is a complete newb question, just wondering what to expect.
just got to remeber that your truck bed has no weight unless you put sandbags in it. SO you might squeal out alot if you gun it.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
just got to remeber that your truck bed has no weight unless you put sandbags in it. SO you might squeak out alot if you gun it.
A couple sandbags and a shovel are always a good idea . Sandbags over the axle for a bit of weight on the rear tires and in a pinch you can use the sand for some traction if you get stuck on ice .
Old 10-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
A couple sandbags and a shovel are always a good idea . Sandbags over the axle for a bit of weight on the rear tires and in a pinch you can use the sand for some traction if you get stuck on ice .
And don't engage 4wd unless it's slippery or you will damage parts.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #7
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
And don't engage 4wd unless it's slippery or you will damage parts.
Yes

Good call
Old 10-10-2011, 12:57 AM   #9
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
Mine handles very well, but I learned to drive in New England and upstate New York winters.

Weight in the bed is excellent advice, as is having the right tires (i.e., tires rated for winter driving). In the end, however, the biggest factors in how a vehicle handles in snow & ice is the driver.
hit nail on the head back it is all about the driver.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:01 AM   #10
00yotasr5 is on a distinguished road

Name: lee
00yotasr5's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 is good, if u want traction from ice/snow get winter tire for better traction on ice get some studs to go along
Old 10-10-2011, 02:27 AM   #11
NYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant future
Name: Joe
NYNURSE's Tacoma Gallery
It doesn't take much for 4WD to get going. Negotiating turns and stopping is another issue. Never go cheap on tires or brakes.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
HammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant future

Name: Jake
HammerHead's Tacoma Gallery
The difference between a 4 wheel drive and a 2 wheel drive on ice is that with a 4 wheel drive, you have 4 tires spinning versus just 2. Trust me, in GA, all we really get in winter is ice.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #13
11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
Name: George
11SuperwhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
depending on what part of oregon you are from you could still need chains. for example if you plan to go to mt hood you need chains or tires with the snow flake on the side. Cant remember what those are called right now. Probably something simple like snow tires lol. Anyway it never hurts to have a set i know Les Schwab used to sell them to you and if you didnt use them you could return them at the end of winter. Also i am pretty sure that if you get cought without chains in certain areas its a fine.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #14
Taco Jinx...
ewa2fl is on a distinguished road

Name: Ed
ewa2fl's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to ewa2fl
FYI: I was told by an Engineer buddy that you should put the weight (Salt Bages, Sand, or Kitty Litter) in the very back towards the tailgate, not just over the axle. I guess it has to do with distribution theory, like a see saw, weight over & beyond each axle... I did it in Up-state NY with my 2WD Tundra, worked good!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #15
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
just got to remeber that your truck bed has no weight unless you put sandbags in it. SO you might squeal out alot if you gun it.
or bags of water softner salt is an option, especially if you have a water softner to throw them in when your done.

They handle well on snow and I run studded tires in the winter, so ice is no issue for me.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #16
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNURSE View Post
It doesn't take much for 4WD to get going. Negotiating turns and stopping is another issue. Never go cheap on tires or brakes.
The quality of the brakes is not really an issue when it comes to ice. The tires are what really matters. Obviously you need good brakes in ANY situation, but if they are in good enough shape for summer, they are good enough for winter. Its where the rubber meets the road that the issues occur.
You are absolutely right about the turns and stops being the big problems.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #17
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
I never add weight as it cuts down on mpg, and where I live the roads are plowed usually the same day it snows. Side streets are another situation and on occassion I have to bump it into 4hi.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I don't buy it that adding 200 lbs will noticeably cut into MPG .

My fuel economy was exactly the same before and after adding my 200 lb Leer cap .
Old 10-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #19
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewa2fl View Post
FYI: I was told by an Engineer buddy that you should put the weight (Salt Bages, Sand, or Kitty Litter) in the very back towards the tailgate, not just over the axle. I guess it has to do with distribution theory, like a see saw, weight over & beyond each axle... I did it in Up-state NY with my 2WD Tundra, worked good!
The downfall of adding weight towards the rear of the bed, beyond the axle, is that the truck will be more likely to spin out and fish tail when turning.

Additional weight x increased moment arm (length of truck body) = increased torque (rotational force).
Old 10-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #20
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
I never add weight as it cuts down on mpg, and where I live the roads are plowed usually the same day it snows. Side streets are another situation and on occassion I have to bump it into 4hi.
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I don't buy it that adding 200 lbs will noticeably cut into MPG .

My fuel economy was exactly the same before and after adding my 200 lb Leer cap .
Driving with passengers adds more weight, and does not noticeably affect fuel economy.