1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

soft clutch pedal

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jb206wrc4, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Oct 10, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    jb206wrc4

jb206wrc4 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    1995 tacoma.
    I have a 95 tacoma v6 4wd and I just replaced the clutch and master cylinder in it. The master cylinder went out and the pedal was going all the way to the floor, and the throwout bearing had been squealing like a pig for a long time, so I figured I would do it all in one shot. Now that the job is done everything works well but the clutch feels really soft. It is holding under load, disengaging and engaging properly, and I have bled the crap out of it. It is factory Aisin clutch kit, but the master is aftermarket. Are these new clutches that easy to push or am I missing something?

2. Oct 10, 2011 at 11:12 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    Is the release stronger than before?

3. Nov 8, 2011 at 4:04 PM
    Matt Morton

Matt Morton Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South West Florida
    Vehicle:
    02 4wd 5 speed v6 ext cab SR5
    Elbow mod, Stage 1 clutch
    I just put a "stage 1" clutch kit in my 02 and my clutch pedal is very light also. No complaints with performance though!

4. Nov 8, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.

Im going to bite on this one are you sure you got all the air out of the slave cylinder and the clutch master cylinder? To me sounds like you still have air in the system.

5. Nov 9, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    Some pressure plates have a different fulcrum which can make the clutch pedal much lighter, or you could have air in the system at the TOP, have someone in the truck depress the clutch pedal why you loosen the flare fitting on the master cylinder and it will probably burp out a little bit of air, just make sure the person pressing the pedal keeps it to the floor until you retighten it back up as I am sure you know.

there is usually trapped air in the end of the master cylinder. Also did you bench bleed the master pressing the piston in fully? Since once it is installed you will have a hard time bottoming out the piston since the pedal wont do that unless adjusted all the way in...

6. Nov 9, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    If you didn't prime the master, you'll need to bleed your master a few times to get all the air out..

Is your slave shooting or rainbowing?

7. Nov 10, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    WTF is rainbowing Justin, are you making sh!t up?? lol

8. Nov 10, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    Like its shooting a stream then falling flat at the end. Ive usually can get it to hit opposite tire

9. Jun 18, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    ShadeTreeMech

ShadeTreeMech New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma Xtra Cab 2.4L, 5 Speed, 2WD
    Upgraded audio with bridged amp and subwoofer
    jb206wrc4,
    Did you get this problem resolved? I'm having the same problem with my clutch. I replaced my clutch (flywheel, pressure plate, clutch plate, throw out bearing, etc.) in January. Everything worked fine for about five months. A week ago, my transmission started popping out of 5th gear. I solved that problem by replacing the shifter seat and nylon bushing. Worked beautifully for two and a half days (and about 150 miles). Saturday afternoon I got in the truck and the clutch pedal went easily to the floor and didn't seem to disengage fully. After talking with some guys at a parts store and reading in this forum, I was convinced it was either the master or slave cylinder. Since the fluid was in terrible shape and I didn't want to spend time fixing one only to find the problem was in the other, I replaced both. This didn't solve my problem! The clutch pedal is still soft and not disengaging fully. The comment here about bench bleeding the master cylinder made me think...I didn't do that, so I could have air in it that can't be bled at the slave cylinder. Did you fix yours? Did bleeding the master cylinder (either at a bench or in some other way) fix your problem? I was about ready to remove my master and slave cylinders and return them, but this sounds promising. Let me know if you fixed yours and what you did to fix it, please.

Products Discussed in

To Top