Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Shock & Lift Advice

Old 11-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
clarsen123 is on a distinguished road
clarsen123's Tacoma Gallery
Shock & Lift Advice

After 160K miles, my ride is getting dangerously mushy. I figure I'd lift it a bit since I need to replace the shocks. I currently have the original TRD Bilsteins. If I go with a new set of shocks and a lift (I don't want new wheels), what would you do? I'm looking at the Toytec kits, based on this forum.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
check out the pics in my gallery. i have done sort of a lift...new coils/ new shocks on all 4 corners and new rear leaf springs. it all gave me a bit of lift, but my ride is far superior to stock now. all my suspension was completely worn out, so i replaced everything and its great now. if you wanna know what all i did, just let me know.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Im kinda running into the same problem my truck is about to hit 160K miles and the ridies getting a little rough but since im right in the middle of college I cant really afford to upgrade to a newer truck nor do I really want to but I would like to do something about my ride.

Will Ive been looking at what u did and I think that is the direction I want to go I dont want a lift cause I want to keep the same tires and wheels but I would like a better ride so if you wouldnt mind to post a list of what all you did and the prices and stuff I would greatly apprcaite it
Old 11-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

deadbolt's Tacoma Gallery
In his sig, it says he did the billy 5100s all around. If you replaced with the 5100s, your ride quality would improve a lot.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucksucksnayota View Post
Im kinda running into the same problem my truck is about to hit 160K miles and the ridies getting a little rough but since im right in the middle of college I cant really afford to upgrade to a newer truck nor do I really want to but I would like to do something about my ride.

Will Ive been looking at what u did and I think that is the direction I want to go I dont want a lift cause I want to keep the same tires and wheels but I would like a better ride so if you wouldnt mind to post a list of what all you did and the prices and stuff I would greatly apprcaite it
here is what i did........

wheelers 5 pack rear leafs
wheelers u-bolt set...and i should have gotten the main eye bolt set too...i'd recommend it for sure
ome 881 coils for the front
bilstein 5100's on all 4 corners

i got the coils and rear leafs from wheelersoffroad.com
i got the 5100's from downsouthmotorsports on ebay.

this stuff greatly improved my ride, as well as giving a tad bit of lift...and i still am running stock size wheels. the rest of the stuff i got was energy suspension rear spring bushings( i didnt know at the time......but the wheelers leafs come with them already), i got energy suspension sway bar bushings(not mushy in corners now) and i got goodridge g-stop braided stainless brake lines from wheelers also.

my shocks were about $300 for the set, and check here for wheelers prices.......http://wheelersoffroad.com/ as i dont remember exactly what i paid. i think it was around $750 or so from what i got from wheelers. all my suspension was shot, and its better than new now!!
Old 11-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
You could always find a set of used low mileage trd coil assemblies from someone who put aftermarket coilovers on there truck. I see them on craigslist all the time for like under 100, i sold my stock coil assemblies for 50 with 30k on them
Old 11-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD4x4858 View Post
You could always find a set of used low mileage trd coil assemblies from someone who put aftermarket coilovers on there truck. I see them on craigslist all the time for like under 100, i sold my stock coil assemblies for 50 with 30k on them
this is true.......as i have my set of trd offroad coils from my 04 double cab in our buy/sale/trade forum for $40 plus shipping........and they only have 46k miles on them.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...04-tacoma.html
Old 11-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
colermidoler99 is on a distinguished road

colermidoler99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarsen123 View Post
After 160K miles, my ride is getting dangerously mushy. I figure I'd lift it a bit since I need to replace the shocks. I currently have the original TRD Bilsteins. If I go with a new set of shocks and a lift (I don't want new wheels), what would you do? I'm looking at the Toytec kits, based on this forum.

definately go revtek.. it rides super smooth on the road and provides a pretty smooth ride offroad