1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

brake shoes on tacoma from a tundra?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Stout890, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Oct 15, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    Stout890

Stout890 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    10" sub, OME881 on Bilstein's, 3" all-pro leaf springs with billies in the back, JBA UCA's, bed cover with custom LED lighting, k&n intake and DT headers, OEM E-locker in the rear. 32" BFG KO2 on steel D window wheels, suicide knob. rebuilt 3RZ w/ stage 1 cam and balance shaft delete . big 3 mod, all new suspension and body mount bushings. cat back magnaflow exhaust.
    has anyone ever had to get rear brake shoes for a tundra for there Tacoma?

i have a rear axle with an E-locker that i picked up at a wrecking yard that i am going to put on my Tacoma and i was throwing new brake pads on it this afternoon with dome duralast pads i got at auto-zone and noticed they were close but not the same. on the axle its written 01 Tacoma in a paint pen and the guy who sold it to me said it came off an 03 Tacoma v6....but the brake shoes i just found on rock auto that ARE the ones i need, BUT are from a 03 tundra??? i looked at the 01 tundra and they use the same ones auto-zone sold me that didn't work also only 1 brand was like the ones i need and the other 5 brands were the other type auto-zone had

its so strange to me but was this something that Toyota did with the e locking rear ends or something?

or do i have a axle off an 03 tundra instead? it looks damn near just like my axle on my taco except the abs sensors and the e brake is at the 9 o'clock of the drum rather than the 12 o'clock position. i figured it was like this because of the abs sensors in the 12 o'clock position...hope fully someone can shed some light on this for me.

2. Oct 15, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    There's no such thing as a Tundra with an E locker.

3. Oct 15, 2011 at 9:20 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    10" sub, OME881 on Bilstein's, 3" all-pro leaf springs with billies in the back, JBA UCA's, bed cover with custom LED lighting, k&n intake and DT headers, OEM E-locker in the rear. 32" BFG KO2 on steel D window wheels, suicide knob. rebuilt 3RZ w/ stage 1 cam and balance shaft delete . big 3 mod, all new suspension and body mount bushings. cat back magnaflow exhaust.
    hmm so than its a rear end for a taco...but whats the deal with having brake shoes that are for a tundra?

4. Oct 15, 2011 at 9:26 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    it's the brake rotors or basically the entire brake assembly that would make for confident stops.

stainless steel brake lines and cross drilled front rotors and metal pads are a way cheaper option and will produce a nice improvement over the stock braking system.

i had thought about doing a brake upgrade as the stock set-up on the regular cabs are terrible lol but, i'm probably going to have a shop do a solid axel swap for me when i pay it off in a couple of years or when ever my warranty runs it's course. then it's dana 60's with high po disc's at all four corners anyway.

5. Oct 15, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    The 1st Tundra is an 8.4 diff, which is the same as the non TRD taco. They are for the most part identical axles except for width. It wouldn't suprise me at all if the drums are the same size.

I'm too intoxicated to go outside and measure, but I have both a 1st gen tundra and taco. Maybe tomorrow I can measure the drums for you.

6. Oct 15, 2011 at 9:38 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Curiousity got the best of me.
    My handy measuring string tells me the drums are the same size on 1st gen tacoma and 1st gen tundra. At least on mine (06 tundra and 04 taco)

7. Oct 15, 2011 at 9:54 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    yeah they seem to be. when i laid the ones i pulled out of the axle(the ones that look like tundra brake shoes) they were the same size as the ones the autozone sold me for a taco...thanks for measuring for me but still wonder why this taco axle with e locker has tundra brake assembly. and not autozone or rock auto shows this option. they only sell the pads i need for the tundra

8. Oct 15, 2011 at 11:11 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Maybe because they are the same. The tundra brake assebly = tacoma brake assembly. Brakes have nothing to do with the e locker or non elocker axle. They look the same to me anyway.

9. Oct 16, 2011 at 12:06 AM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    well there differnt in the way that the tundra one has a pin pressed in the brake shoe for the adjuster retaining spring to mount on and the Tacoma ones do not have the tab nor do they even have a hole to reuse the an old pin.
    see the pin
    003 edit.jpg

and the shoes for a Tacoma, the same ones autozone sold me and that rock auto sells for all tacoma 6lugs..not even a hole
    brakes.jpg

and these ones do but are listed for the tundra
    tundra brakes.jpg

10. Oct 16, 2011 at 1:46 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    Autozone's computer is always right. There are thousands of cars with millions of options, they are bound to get things wrong ocassionally. I remember on my mustang the starter for the manual and automatic were switched in their computer. Just bring in your old shoes, compare measurements with the tundra pads, and if they match remember that for next time. You'll save yourself a lot of stress not trying to find out why, but instead finding out what works.

11. Oct 16, 2011 at 2:35 AM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    And is rock auto wrong too? Lol But yeah I'm not stressing about if the'll work, I'm just curious if anyone else experiences Toyota doing odd things like this and also it would be nice to know what rear end I'm gonna put on my taco instead of trusting the paint pen written on it from some guy at the wrecking yard lol.

12. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    My qustion is why are you looking up parts for a tundra? :notsure:
    You know you have a Tacoma axle if you've got a locker.

13. Oct 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    dude im looking them up because no Tacoma brake shoe would fit on the axle...i don't know how else to explain this....so i had to go hunt down the corrct brake shoe and it is a 03 tundra shoe....:frusty:

im just curious what package Toyota had for the Tacoma that included a e locker and a brake system off of the tundra(if your 100% lockers only come on a Tacoma)<im taking your word for it lol

14. Oct 16, 2011 at 1:00 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Yes I'm 100% sure there is no factory option for an e locker on a tundra, only a LSD. The other thing you can do is measure the width of the axle. The tundra axle is significantly wider than the tacoma (IIRC ~5").

I just checked the part #'s. Tundra only came with 1 size shoe, 11.61 X 1.99 Inch.
    Tacoma's came in two different sizes depending on option, 11.61 X 1.99 Inch and 10 x 1-31/32 Inch Brakes.

So the fact that you needed "Tundra" brake shoes means that the Tacoma axle you picked up has the same brakes. In fact, the same shoe fits many models of the 4runner, Pre-Tacoma, and T100.

15. Oct 16, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    Right on thanks, I didn't doubt you. And I think the 5 lugs use the 10.5 inch drum and the 6 luggers use the 12 inch drums. It's really no big deal to get the tundra pads i was just curious and I'll measure the axle but if it's a taco axle it's, its a taco axle..

Products Discussed in

To Top