1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual Transmission gear oil leak

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bernduffy, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Oct 18, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    bernduffy

bernduffy [OP] Member

Member:
    Firstly: apologies for stupid questions...and even stupider behavior.
    Tired of hauling my pontoon fishing boat around on my car rooftop, I bought a 96 V6 ExCab with 175K miles for fishing and camping here in Oregon (Fisherman's Paradise). It checked out with my mechanic so I pulled the trigger and enjoyed 3K miles of camping & fishing bliss.
    One day about a month ago, I notice a spot of oil on the driveway, check oil, it looks a little low, top off. Continue to see oil, now at baseball size. Dipstick not reading lower, but I figure it's got to be oil engine oil. It felt, looked and smelled like engine oil and was coming from under engine. But the oil level was staying at full. I know: this is when I should have gone to a mechanic.
    Last week I'm shifting to 2nd uphill and there's reduced drive. I can't get over 15 mph at 3500 rpms. 3rd gear won't get me going beyond 25mph even on the flat. Yes, there was the smell of burning clutch. I pull over, call AAA and get towed home. I call a couple of mechanics who tell me clutch needs replacing. But then I remember the mysterious oil leak. I crawl under the transmission and find its all coated with oil. I then realize that my driveway is slightly slanted and the oil from transmission was flowing down to a misleading location. It was the trans oil I was seeing on driveway. So, what I'm wondering: is there any chance the trans leak can be repaired, gear oil replaced and clutch job avoided? I know this is wishful thinking. I also know I'm an idiot for not correctly diagnosing or at least having a mechanic diagnose the initial problem.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Oct 18, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    bernduffy

bernduffy [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks.... I'd say "Live and learn"...but I'm getting a little old for that...

Anyway: I'm lovin' this truck. Wish I had made the move a long time ago.

Best moment so far: Backing down a very steep gruesome boulder strewn hill to launch my boat onto a lake while a coupla dozen fellow fisherman, backed up and waiting for the boat ramp, stood watching. To add insult to injury, then caught a fat kokannee as I trolled out past the ramp.

Yeah, baby: Eat my mud and surf my wake!

Cheers,
    Bernie
    Oregon

Products Discussed in

To Top