1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission Oil Cooler install?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by thrustblock, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Oct 23, 2011 at 2:07 PM
    thrustblock

thrustblock [OP] Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma Xtra-cab 4x4
    I'm installing a tranny cooler on my 1999 Tacoma EXT Cab 4x4, V6 so that I can start pulling a trailer. The directions on the Derale cooler states to locate the oil return line to tap into.

There are two lines that clearly go from the tranny to the radiator and my question is how to tell which is in and which is out? If facing the radiator, one line is on the bottom right, next to the radiator coolant line, the second is on the lower left all by itself. I suspect it is the left one, but looking to see if anyone knows for sure before I cut into it.

2. Oct 24, 2011 at 6:01 AM
    Space Wrangler

Space Wrangler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    04 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab SAW 2.0's Alcan's Ion 171 wheels 15x8 (-27mm bs) 32" BFG AT's
    i wish i remembered which line was the return. ..because the write up i used was done on a 4 runner and i assumed the lines would be in the same orientation ....i was wrong. ....i won't even go into the awful mess i had to clean up. it was a freakin' disaster.

hopefully someone can come in and clear it up for you..

3. Oct 25, 2011 at 8:12 AM
    thrustblock

thrustblock [OP] Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma Xtra-cab 4x4
    thanks for the reply. I did confirm with my mechanic that the return line is on the bottom right, next to the return for the engine coolant, so I'm almost there. Aside from a few hassles of having to work around the AC condenser and trip to the hardware store to get the correct barbed hose adapter - the project hasn't been too bad.

Now, if only I could find where to add more transmission fluid, I could wrap this up. I certainly see the dip stick, but nowhere to add new fluid. Is it bad to just use a funnel and pour it in through the dip stick tube?

4. Oct 25, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    Space Wrangler

Space Wrangler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    04 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab SAW 2.0's Alcan's Ion 171 wheels 15x8 (-27mm bs) 32" BFG AT's
    the dipstick is the only place i know of to add fluid.

Products Discussed in

To Top