1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Part number for front catalytic converter?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by txironhead, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Oct 24, 2011 at 5:23 PM
    txironhead

txironhead [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma SR5 Ext. cab 2wd
    Brush guard, aftermarket cruise control
    I recently inherited my dad's '99 Tacoma 2.4L extended cab 2wd. My dad bought it new and while the body is a bit banged up he maintained the drivetrain. Unfortunately, from what I understand, he got in the habit of running regular unleaded and using additive very often. Now the check engine light is on, and the code came back front bank converter and egr valve as a secondary code. I was told that the second code is common with cat problems and replacing the cat may solve the egr code. The truck is extremely sluggish until it gets up to normal engine temps, and even then it doesn't have the power it should at only 163k.

However, according to the sticker under the hood, this truck is California emissions, even though it was purchased new in Texas. After looking at the truck, the guy at the muffler shop said it had a front converter that was bolted to the manifold, and the cheapest he could get aftermarket was $615 installed. He also said that the computer was programmed for that exhaust and it had to be put back the way it was.

I did some research and discovered Auto Anything, gave them a call and they told me that the only real difference between the California rated cats is that they are CARB certified. He did say that before he would be comfortable selling me the part the computer listed (Eastern #11028, $165.95) he would prefer if I called a California Toyota dealership and asking them if that part would suffice on a vehicle not driven in California.

After searching the threads here, I found the recommendation of replacing the manifold and front cat with a header. Auto Anything has one for $165 (Pacesetter #70-1181) that even comes with the extension to connect to the factory exhaust. Yes, I expect the paint to come off almost immediately, but I'm not paying an extra $100 for coating. Maybe later I'll use some POR-15 Black Velvet.

I do live in an area that does emissions testing, however, they don't require CARB certification and are a bit lax as long as the CEL isn't on. I want to get the truck running right and prevent damage more than anything. It's stock and a daily driver, and that's basically how I'd like to keep it.

So, given all that info, I still do not know what the best fix will be. I'm planning on calling a Cali dealer tomorrow, but I wanted to see if I could get a good answer from people that have actually fixed this problem. The Eastern converter and the Pacesetter header are the same price. Not awfully concerned with horsepower, but if it will breathe easier with the header I'd like to go that route. I just want to make sure that the CEL will go off and the computer will regulate everything like it should.

If anyone can give me a link or part number to a correct and (relatively) cheap converter or tell me for sure that the header pipe will work, or give me any other suggestions or options I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Oct 26, 2011 at 12:41 AM
    txironhead

txironhead [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma SR5 Ext. cab 2wd
    Brush guard, aftermarket cruise control
    Called the local Toyota dealership today, and even with the VIN they couldn't tell me whether or not it's a Cali emissions model. However, if it IS, and I do have a bad front cat, then I'm looking at $1,200 for the factory replacement. Part #1710oc030. He also said that I would not be able to install a header or non-Cali manifold and pipe without adversely affecting the computer. Honestly, he didn't sound that knowledgeable about the subject, so I'm still open to suggestions.

Products Discussed in

To Top