Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

spring compressors?

Old 10-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
tacomazach has a spectacular aura abouttacomazach has a spectacular aura about

Name: Zach
tacomazach's Tacoma Gallery
spring compressors?

I posted this in the suspension section but got no reply.

What spring compressors have ya'll used that held up well?

I went to install my 882s on my truck the other day and was going to use a spring compressor of a friend's that used u-bolts. Once the struts were assembled the coils were too close together to get the u-bolts out. I tried again with a compressor I rented from autozone yesterday. It looked like this:

I had the same problem with it. The hooks were too thick to remove from the coils once assembled. So what compressors have ya'll used and where did you get them?

I saw some at advanced auto parts that looked like they could be removed, but also looked flimsy. I'd be scared to use them
Old 10-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Busting hymens since 2014
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
We are not allowed to discuss this method here.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Once you decompress the springs, try to take the bolt all the way off and the hooks should come out. Also, try to connect them one coil lower.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Once you decompress the springs, try to take the bolt all the way off and the hooks should come out. Also, try to connect them one coil lower.
I did
Old 10-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomazach View Post
I posted this in the suspension section but got no reply.

What spring compressors have ya'll used that held up well?

I went to install my 882s on my truck the other day and was going to use a spring compressor of a friend's that used u-bolts. Once the struts were assembled the coils were too close together to get the u-bolts out. I tried again with a compressor I rented from autozone yesterday. It looked like this:

I had the same problem with it. The hooks were too thick to remove from the coils once assembled. So what compressors have ya'll used and where did you get them?

I saw some at advanced auto parts that looked like they could be removed, but also looked flimsy. I'd be scared to use them
I feel your pain. I had a similar problem with the same coil compressors when installing my OME 880s. What I did is, once the coils were assembled, I unscrewed the threaded shaft until one it came out of both of the hooks. Then I just took the two hooks off the coils. Only thing I could come up with.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdracing5 View Post
I feel your pain. I had a similar problem with the same coil compressors when installing my OME 880s. What I did is, once the coils were assembled, I unscrewed the threaded shaft until one it came out of both of the hooks. Then I just took the two hooks off the coils. Only thing I could come up with.
There must be some difference between the 880s and 882s cause I tried what you did and it was still too tight to get out.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by db View Post
Has anyone actually done this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeMan View Post
Those are junk. I had to pry the coils apart with a bar to get them out. I ended stealing a Mac 4-Ton Hydraulic Compressor. Took less than a 5 minutes each side. If you were closer I'd do it for you.
It looks like I gotta find someone with one of these.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Has anyone actually done this?
I sure as hell wouldnt
Old 10-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
The u bolt style ones are crap for large springs ie unsafe. The ones you get from auto zone are next best to the wall or bench mounted version. Try sliding the hooks more toward the middle of the spring to get them off for the autozone version.
The u-bolt ones of my buddies were very strong. not like the ones I've seen in stores. his held up much better than the autozone ones. they were almost easy to tighten. I did a quick search and couldn't find any pictures of one like his.

and seriously.. I tried like everything to get them off. are there no other designs?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The u-bolt ones of my buddies were very strong. not like the ones I've seen in stores. his held up much better than the autozone ones. they were almost easy to tighten. I did a quick search and couldn't find any pictures of one like his.

and seriously.. I tried like everything to get them off. are there no other designs?

I am thinking of the ones they sell at pep boys, they are for lil civic springs.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #13
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem. especially since OME shocks are so wide. I took the entire shaft out, and then rotated the hooks around the spring until i got it to the narrowest part of the shock and wiggled them out. Was a bit of a bitch. Kind of wish I had done it the way that video describes with the floor jack! that looks so easy! to bad it was posted in august and i did mine in june.

I never got an alignment after though like it suggests... but then again i didn't unbolt and of the control arms.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #14
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
Use a wood splitting wedge to give more space between the coils, that's what I did, hit it in till the compressor head could fit on the coil, as high as possible, hit it out, then start compressing, when you swap everything out, and need to get the compressor heads off, just put the wedge back in and they'll fall out.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by db View Post
I used that method not too long ago when I replaced my top plate. Pretty easy.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #16
Ainokea
RecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
RecklessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
I used that method not too long ago when I replaced my top plate. Pretty easy.
I was gonna say the same thing! Much easier and safer then the cheap compressors the op is refering to. there is no chance of the spring flying out and hurting you. Pretty simple to me!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessTaco View Post
I was gonna say the same thing! Much easier and safer then the cheap compressors the op is refering to. there is no chance of the spring flying out and hurting you. Pretty simple to me!
That's what I'm going to do next chance I get
Old 10-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #18
JohnnYp has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnYp has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnYp has a spectacular aura about
Name: John
JohnnYp's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to JohnnYp
You could allways do it like THIS

Old 10-28-2011, 04:03 AM   #19
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone ever try to use aircraft grade banding straps? I have seen the guy on Wheeler Dealer from DiscoveryHD use banding straps on the front suspension with the car on a lift.

I used the cheapos from Harbor Freight to get my springs off my ICONS to have them rebuilt, but, the damn things distorted so much, and no way I am going to use those again to get the springs back in.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #20
YotaMark is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
YotaMark's Tacoma Gallery
Some I use to take them apart on the floor with an impact, and assemble them in a wall mounted strut compressor.
Some I actually used the lift to compress it (KIA amantis)
Most I used a wall mounted spring compressor. I haven't used a cheapo Harbor Freight one in years....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=XEQq0_xeg6g