Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New Purchase, Help Appreciated :-)

Old 10-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
98Tacoma Fan is on a distinguished road
98Tacoma Fan's Tacoma Gallery
New Purchase, Help Appreciated :-)

Hello All,

I know many of you have probably answered these questions a million times!!! I appreciate all of your patience and any feedback and information you can provide me I would really appreciate it.

I just purchased a 1998 Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab, it is a 2 wheel drive, 5 speed . The truck has 117K miles on it. It seems to be very well taken care of and looks very clean. Ufortuneately, it did not come with any service records so I do not happen to know of the prior servicing that was done to the truck by the prior owner.

Do 1998 4 cyl trucks have timing chains or timing belts? Also, are the valves adjustable, or are they self adjusting? This truck still has the original radiator with the sticker/tag showing the 1998 date, I am wondering if I should change the radiator and the water pump and hoses as a precaution due to the fact that I am in Arizona where it gets quite warm .

What suggestions do any of you have in regards to maintenance? Are there any weak or suspect areas on my particular type of truck/configuration? I am really hoping that this truck has ALOT of life left in it, and want to do everything in my power to keep it in tip top shape. I just totaled out my honda last november with 267K miles and it still ran like new.

Thanks for your help, and input.
Regards,
Steve
Old 10-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome from AZ...I'm in Scottsdale. Sorry I can't really chime in with much info. I don't know much about 1st gens. Someone will chime in soon.

Again, welcome.

BUMP!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The engine uses a timing chain. As far as I know a valve adjustment is not necessary but I could be wrong. I would keep the radiator but flush the coolant, change the hoses and thermostat. Change the tranny fluid, diff fluid and spark plugs as a precaution.

Service manual: http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html
Old 10-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The engine uses a timing chain. As far as I know a valve adjustment is not necessary but I could be wrong. I would keep the radiator but flush the coolant and change the hoses and thermostat. Change the tranny fluid, diff fluid and spark plugs as a precaution.

great advise!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The engine uses a timing chain. As far as I know a valve adjustment is not necessary but I could be wrong. I would keep the radiator but flush the coolant and change the hoses and thermostat. Change the tranny fluid, diff fluid and spark plugs as a precaution.

+1...

If the valves aren't noisy dont worry about adjusting them yet.

Rad is fine as long as it isn't leaking.

I would also do the fuel filter, clean the MAF, change the PCV valve, and clean the throttle body if you want to go all out.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
thank you guys for the input.

The valves seem a bit noisy to me but, I am wondering if that could be due to fact that it has a timing chain not a belt? I do know that the a/c compressor seems noisy to me, and it appear to cycle a bit more than normal, it is blowing cold but I wonder if it is ready to take a dump or just needs to be serviced etc?

What type of MPG should I be expecting out of this set up?

Does anyone know a very good/honest repair shop to have my truck serviced at here in the Phoenix area??
Old 10-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
These are pretty noisy engines, so its hard to tell without hearing it. A valve adjustment isn't hard to do though, and cant hurt.

AC compressor noise could be the clutch bearing. Easy fix.

MPG's should be around 19/25
Old 10-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
Thanks TacoMX, I appreciate the info. I am gathering as much info as I can so I don't freak out over every little noise :-). I drove my 95 Civic for 15 years, put 267K miles on it and I knew every little noise etc and stayed on my services to keep it road worthy and be able to drive anywhere at any point etc.

I am hoping that with 117K miles on this 98 truck that if I do the preventative services etc that I will have a lot of life left in this truck. I really need this truck to last me a long, long, time.

it feels very tight to me, the 5 speed shifter is very tight, not sloppy, and the truck feels tight in my opinion
Old 10-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #9

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
At 117k miles its just getting broken in Im at 175k miles and still TIGHT Care for the Taco...and it will care for you.

enjoy the truck!

And pics of the truck?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
I will try to get some pics this weekend. It is a very plain jane truck, nothing sexy going on there, solid white ext with blue interior. I think I overpaid at $5750.00 for the truck (due to dealer taxes and lic fees) but, the truck seemed so clean to me that I felt it was worth it in the long run. Even though it has 117K miles, it seems like it has much less in regards to the way it feels, drives, and the way the controls and trans feels etc
Old 10-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #11

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
is it a prerunner or a 5 lug?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
TacoMX,

It isn't a prerunner, just a basic/base 2wd xtra cab sr5.