Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

O2 sensor came loose and popped out of exhaust? wtf?!

Old 10-26-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
defleppardsg is on a distinguished road
Name: chris
defleppardsg's Tacoma Gallery
O2 sensor came loose and popped out of exhaust? wtf?!

I thought i had a hole forming in my muffler or something, got real loud. Got under there to look, and find my post-cat O2 sensor hanging by it's harness. The bolts (rusted???) off and the freakin sensor just popped out. How the hell could this have happened??? I'm glad it didn't fall off.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
Just a guess, but since you live in NY you probably got salt or something on it year after year and it corroded...also, not sure if you're the original owner, maybe it's an aftermarket sensor?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
same thing on my "95". just the nuts rusted off, and not the studs. 2 new nuts and all was well.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
KingToaster is on a distinguished road

Name: Alan
KingToaster's Tacoma Gallery
also happened to me about two years ago, put on some new nuts and it has been fine since.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
damn I'm glad I live in FL...
Old 10-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
damn i'm glad I live in California!!!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
defleppardsg is on a distinguished road
Name: chris
defleppardsg's Tacoma Gallery
wow, yea, almost hard to believe that the nuts could completely dissinigrate, and the whole senor could just vibrate right off of the studs. lol. I feel those things are hard to get off when you're trying to, who knew it could just come free. Glad I'm not the only one.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #9
KingToaster is on a distinguished road

Name: Alan
KingToaster's Tacoma Gallery
Kept hearing some clanging around down there and keep having the CEL come on and go off repeatedly so i decided to take a look and it didn't take long to figure out what was going on.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
Ecnerwal is on a distinguished road
Ecnerwal's Tacoma Gallery
Penetrant and vise grips. Use the penetrant for several days in advance, applying to hot exhaust and letting it work its way in while it's cooling down. If you still have the "sheild" some people have in their pictures on the rear one, you may have to cut it loose to get to the nuts with the vise-grips. You may also (or instead) want a nut-splitter or a dremel with a cutoff wheel to soften up what's left of the nuts.

Spend the $50 on a new sensor as well, IMHO. And the $100 up front (A/F) if that's not been done in your memory or 100K miles.

Stainless steel nuts, lockwashers (I couldn't find decent stainless ones, so I used non-stainless for those) and anti-sieze on the threads after you put the sensor on but before you put the nuts on.