Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Weird noise after wheels installed

Old 10-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Alpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Ruben
Alpha Q Up's Tacoma Gallery
Weird noise after wheels installed

So this past weekend I got my lift installed (saturday) i drove around on the stock wheels and tires all day on Sunday. Everything was fine...breaking felt a bit off but that's about it.

On Monday i have my new wheels and tires (285/75/16 duratracs) installed. As i'm paying they told me they heard a "clunk" when test driving it. They had the truck all day and i couldn't leave it any longer for them to look at it. So i took it home.

After driving it around over small pot holes and dips i get an awkward feed back noise. Almost as if some thing was loose and is bouncing around on the bottom.

I called the tire shop and they said that they can look at it. But if it's NOT related to the wheel install then i have to pay $60 for the labor.

What can it be? Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Tire rub? 285/75/16s will rub for most people up front without cutting & chopping.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
Alpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
No not rub.

I just took it for another drive. And the best way to describe it is a "Rattle"
Old 10-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Q Up View Post
No not rub.

I just took it for another drive. And the best way to describe it is a "Rattle"
Always?

Straight line?

Turns?

Low speed?

High speed?

More clues?

Have you jacked it up and done the wheel shake to see if it tie-rods or ball joints?

Have the lower ball joints ever been replaced on your truck?

Also, check the mounting bolts on the the LBJ. Other folsk have had these come loose, hanging on by a thread.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe your steering rack? Mine makes a bumping/clunking sound when going over bumps/potholes and I've been told I need new rack bushings.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #6

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Always?

Straight line?Turns?Low speed?High speed?More clues?

Have you jacked it up and done the wheel shake to see if it tie-rods or ball joints?

Have the lower ball joints ever been replaced on your truck?

Also, check the mounting bolts on the the LBJ. Other folsk have had these come loose, hanging on by a thread.
It's at any speed. Mostly when i'm driving straight over some uneven road surface.

I haven't done a "wheel shake" But i forgot to mention that I did get an alignment with the tire install.

I doubt any LBJ have been replaced.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #7

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
Maybe your steering rack? Mine makes a bumping/clunking sound when going over bumps/potholes and I've been told I need new rack bushings.
Interesting.... Does your steering wheel wobble with the noise though?

cause mine doesn't.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
magog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud of

magog45's Tacoma Gallery
Check your rear shocks, and anything else that may have had to been moved, removed or replaced. If the sound wasn't there when you brought the truck in then its likely related to the lift install, also make sure all the lug nuts are tight.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if I would say it wobbles, but there is some slop in the wheel. I can make the noise happen when I turn the wheel an inch or two left or right while stopped.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #10

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by magog45 View Post
Check your rear shocks, and anything else that may have had to been moved, removed or replaced. If the sound wasn't there when you brought the truck in then its likely related to the lift install, also make sure all the lug nuts are tight.
The noise came after the Wheel install. Not the lift.

I'll check the lug nuts.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Q Up View Post
It's at any speed. Mostly when i'm driving straight over some uneven road surface.

I haven't done a "wheel shake" But i forgot to mention that I did get an alignment with the tire install.

I doubt any LBJ have been replaced.
First gens had a recall on the LBJ. Check this out. I can be really bad if it fails at speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magog45 View Post
This is all good common sense before we jump to other conclusions. If the lift was intalled by someone else, check it all. Bolts may not be tight or not torqued to spec.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #12

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
I don't know if I would say it wobbles, but there is some slop in the wheel. I can make the noise happen when I turn the wheel an inch or two left or right while stopped.
Yeah i don't think it has to do with my steering then.