LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Should I undercoat my truck myself?

Old 10-27-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
"I Brake for Tailgaters"
prerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
prerunnerSD's Tacoma Gallery
Should I undercoat my truck myself?

Should I pay someone to undercoat my truck or should I do it myself and how?
I'd rather not have to spend $800 to do this and I might even do a better job.. I know paint is an option right?

Any ideas please....

WHAT I WANT TO AVOID!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
All your soul are belong to us
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Enigmaaron's Tacoma Gallery
So you didn't take it to Toyota for the free undercoating due to the frame recall issues and have now voided your frame warranty?

In case you don't know there is a huge frame rust recall for 1st gen tacomas. Search around on here for frame recall and you will find a ton of info. Basically you get a free frame inspection every year from Toyota, if it fails (within 15 years) they will replace your frame (or buyback the truck at above market value but 01-04 trucks are just getting replacements at this point). Most of the especially troublesome states had an undercoating program where they would apply an undercoating for free and this was required to keep your frame warranty in these states. But that had to be done by the end of Oct '10 so if you are in one of those states you are SOL.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:50 AM   #3
"I Brake for Tailgaters"
prerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmaaron View Post
So you didn't take it to Toyota for the free undercoating due to the frame recall issues and have now voided your frame warranty?

In case you don't know there is a huge frame rust recall for 1st gen tacomas. Search around on here for frame recall and you will find a ton of info. Basically you get a free frame inspection every year from Toyota, if it fails (within 15 years) they will replace your frame (or buyback the truck at above market value but 01-04 trucks are just getting replacements at this point). Most of the especially troublesome states had an undercoating program where they would apply an undercoating for free and this was required to keep your frame warranty in these states. But that had to be done by the end of Oct '10 so if you are in one of those states you are SOL.
I would of taken it in if I could of but I bought my truck in San Diego, Calif this past summer 2011 and drove it cross country to New England USA. Do you think they'd cut me a break? Do I have any options?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:53 AM   #4
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerSD View Post
I would of taken it in if I could of but I bought my truck in San Diego, Calif this past summer 2011 and drove it cross country to New England USA. Do you think they'd cut me a break? Do I have any options?
You can go to any dealer that offers the service. I had my truck inspected in Asheville, Nc but the truck is registered and was purchased in Va.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:57 AM   #5
"I Brake for Tailgaters"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
You can go to any dealer that offers the service. I had my truck inspected in Asheville, Nc but the truck is registered and was purchased in Va.
Cool you mean Toyota dealers? I know I can find someone to do it but I had no clue Toyota was doing it for free at one point in time... Not that I had her back then.. mebbe they'll give me a break...
Old 10-27-2011, 04:59 AM   #6
All your soul are belong to us
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Enigmaaron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmm, I would call up Toyota corporate and see what your options are. As far as I know the dealers are no longer doing the undercoatings. They will likely say that your truck doesn't qualify for the undercoating since it wasn't registered in your state at the time. But it should still be covered by the 15 year warranty. Ask them if doing an undercoating yourself will affect the warranty in any way.

Again, call Toyota corporate, do NOT call a local dealer, they won't know anything.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:23 AM   #7
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cool you mean Toyota dealers? I know I can find someone to do it but I had no clue Toyota was doing it for free at one point in time... Not that I had her back then.. mebbe they'll give me a break...
They are currently doing my model truck. I would call a dealer and ask when you can have the frame inspected, tell them you received a letter and you're concerned of the condition of the frame. After they inspect, opt for the frame treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmaaron View Post
Hmm, I would call up Toyota corporate and see what your options are. As far as I know the dealers are no longer doing the undercoatings. They will likely say that your truck doesn't qualify for the undercoating since it wasn't registered in your state at the time. But it should still be covered by the 15 year warranty. Ask them if doing an undercoating yourself will affect the warranty in any way.

Again, call Toyota corporate, do NOT call a local dealer, they won't know anything.
The dealer here was very helpful, they seemed to know quite a bit about it and lead me in the right directions.