Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I almost shit myself today while driving the taco....

Old 10-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
I almost shit myself today while driving the taco....

So im going down a hill yea no big deal, all the sudden i see a brown object just clunk the top of the windshield and hear a load thump, thought it was broken. So when i get to a red light i slowly glance around the rear view mirror and there isnt a chip thank god.

My question;

Would a bud deflector have prevented this, re-deflect it, and if so what are some good fitting bug deflectors?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
depends on what it was..A bug deflector wont stop much besides small rocks, and small bugs..anything bigger will probably just break the bug guard
Old 10-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
depends on what it was..A bug deflector wont stop much besides small rocks, and small bugs..anything bigger will probably just break the bug guard
I think it was a rock or a very hard object the size of a quarter...rather break the bug guard than my windshield
Old 10-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Bug deflectors don't do anything to reflect bugs from the window, I bought my truck with one on it and took it off because bugs were still hitting my window and I didn't like the way it looked on it, it's a lot cleaner looking without one imo. Really the only thing it does is keep your hood from wobbling around with it on mine my hood would stay pined down and not move, with it off it wobbles up and down on the sides with the latch as its pivot point.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
A bug deflector will not redirect heavier objects such as rocks. They sort of redirect bugs so they hit higher on the windshield but the redirection of air over the front of the truck isn't significant enough to redirect a stone.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
I know bug guards don't do anything for a 1 foot long 2x4, thats for sure A few years ago I was on the highway going 65-70 and a Subaru in front of me kicked one up and it hit the top of my windshield, right where my face is and it just deflected up and over thankfully. No damage to the roof or windshield at all. It made me duck, cover, and pucker though.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
brs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura about
brs127s's Tacoma Gallery
They will help prevent nicks in the hood from smaller objects. IMHO, the toyota deflector is the best fit. After all it was built specifically for your taco. Price wise it is around the same price as all the aftermarket deflectors.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
Bug deflectors don't do anything to reflect bugs from the window, I bought my truck with one on it and took it off because bugs were still hitting my window and I didn't like the way it looked on it, it's a lot cleaner looking without one imo. Really the only thing it does is keep your hood from wobbling around with it on mine my hood would stay pined down and not move, with it off it wobbles up and down on the sides with the latch as its pivot point.
You need to readjust the posts under the front edge of the hood. Raise them up a little then close it and see if you need to do it some more.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
pigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pigger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
You need to readjust the posts under the front edge of the hood. Raise them up a little then close it and see if you need to do it some more.
I've done this but my hood still moves up & down a little. Stays closed, thankfully, but it's disconcerting.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigger View Post
I've done this but my hood still moves up & down a little. Stays closed, thankfully, but it's disconcerting.
Do it some more. Or are they all the way up?
Old 10-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
i was waiting for you to say it was someone pooping off an overpass or something after you mentioned shit and said it was brown....
Yes, I laughed out loud at this!