Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

weld-on muffler inlet/outlet

Old 10-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
weld-on muffler inlet/outlet

i didn't get any input in the general auto. section so maybe you gen1 guys can share your thoughts with me.

i'm curious as to why guys are using mufflers with center inlet/offset outlet when the stock muffler is center/center. i would think it would make more sense to use a center/center when welding in a new muffler. am i missing something here? i know any exhaust shop can make any configuration work, but....

input please. i've got something in the works for the tacoma guys. any feedback is appreciated, thanks.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
Center in/Center out made more sense to me also. Otherwise the muffler doesn't sit flat. I wanted mine to be tucked up as high as possible so no chance I could catch it on anything when wheelin.

Go with your gut.
thanks for the input. i wonder if anyone else knows why they chose offset/center.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
DblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DblCabMN's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered a Gibson 55122s (cent/off) at first accidentally instead of the 55112s (cent/cent) - had a few beers before clicking "Order"... may have explained the confusion.

So then i ordered the 55112s

I showed up to the muffler shop with both, told them to pick the right one for the install job and i'll return the other. They installed center/offset 'vertically.' the lower corner of the can hangs down below the frame by about 2 inchs - not too happy. Should've just given them the center/center and been done with it.

Still need to fix it, but I have other more important things on the list.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
Stealth Custom Series™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblCabMN View Post
I ordered a Gibson 55122s (cent/off) at first accidentally instead of the 55112s (cent/cent) - had a few beers before clicking "Order"... may have explained the confusion.

So then i ordered the 55112s

I showed up to the muffler shop with both, told them to pick the right one for the install job and i'll return the other. They installed center/offset 'vertically.' the lower corner of the can hangs down below the frame by about 2 inchs - not too happy. Should've just given them the center/center and been done with it.

Still need to fix it, but I have other more important things on the list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
im offset in/center out..

i notice that a lot of times the mufflers are welded at an angle or like DblCabMN's truck vertically which will work fine, but it's not the best look imo. plus in some cases, you lose clearance in that area.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I had my shop weld on a Magnaflow 18" muffler. The guy chose an offset in/center out. It sits "vertical" also but doesn't hang down too low, I'd say its even w/ the frame. I don't know why they chose to install that particular muffler (they had numerous in stock) mayb it had something to do w/ the bends they had to do for me and where the stock piping was..IDK
Old 10-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scwerks View Post
i notice that a lot of times the mufflers are welded at an angle or like DblCabMN's truck vertically which will work fine, but it's not the best look imo. plus in some cases, you lose clearance in that area.
who cares how its looks lol i don't ever go under there to see how my exhaust looks lol

and actually its angled up to keep it above the frame rail..so no..no clearance is lost..
Old 10-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
Stealth Custom Series™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
who cares how its looks lol i don't ever go under there to see how my exhaust looks lol

and actually its angled up to keep it above the frame rail..so no..no clearance is lost..
i care, lol. i appreciate the feedback Monte!