Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Gauge wire used for stock radio?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
DataCrypt is on a distinguished road
DataCrypt's Tacoma Gallery
Gauge wire used for stock radio?

In replacing my factory '02 Tacoma radio with my new Pioneer AVIC-x930BT radio, I need to connect up a couple of wires that I need to grab from various places. One is the reverse signal wire (from a connector under the drivers seat) and the other is the VSS wire (from behind the glove box).

I would like to run the same gauge wire and was just wondering what gauge is typically used by Toyota on their harness for the radio? The Metra wire harness I have #17-1761 looks like maybe 18 gauge, but not sure.

I'd like to buy the same gauge wire - so if anyone knows, it would be helpful.

Thank you very much for your time,

DataCrypt
Old 10-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
I did. I have a Metra #70-1761 harness which provides most of the connections (speakers, power, etc...). But as I mentioned, I need to run a wire from where I can grab other signals that are NOT at my harness. So I need to run a few feet of wire from a couple of places and would like to use the same gauge wire.

Wasn't sure if anyone knew what the standard for that was. Again looking at my aftermarket Metra harness it looks like 18 gauge, but I'm not sure as it doesn't say anywhere.

Thanks,

DataCrypt
Old 10-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
I got it off Amazon. Same exact harness that Crutchfield offers (from Metra) for the Pioneer AVIC-x930BT. The Metra harness plugs into the factory plugs and has bare wires on the other end. The Pioneer has a harness that plugs into the back of the radio and has bare wires on the other end.

It's those bare wires that need to be matched up and I will solder/heatshrink them. So, essentially creating a harness that goes from factory plugs to the back of the radio plugs.

Make sense? Maybe your harness was different for your radio depending on the vehicle/radio model.

Thanks, I'll look to see if I've got some 16 gauge in the garage.

Best Regards,

DataCrypt

BTW - The only reason I got it off Amazon instead of Crutchfield, was Amazon is also an authorized Pioneer dealer and the radio was $100 cheaper than crutchfield + the extra $100 rebate going on. Crutchfield wants $699 and Amazon $598. Less the $100 rebate and my Pioneer came out to $498. Wire harness was like $5.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
REALLY!!
mrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: F-22 Crew Chief
Name: Brent
mrp192's Tacoma Gallery
you should be fine with 16G wire. if its just for signal inputs or whatever your not really pulling that much current.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
All mine have been 16G