1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gauge wire used for stock radio?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DataCrypt, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Oct 27, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    DataCrypt

DataCrypt [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 PreRunner SR5
    In replacing my factory '02 Tacoma radio with my new Pioneer AVIC-x930BT radio, I need to connect up a couple of wires that I need to grab from various places. One is the reverse signal wire (from a connector under the drivers seat) and the other is the VSS wire (from behind the glove box).

I would like to run the same gauge wire and was just wondering what gauge is typically used by Toyota on their harness for the radio? The Metra wire harness I have #17-1761 looks like maybe 18 gauge, but not sure.

I'd like to buy the same gauge wire - so if anyone knows, it would be helpful.

Thank you very much for your time,

DataCrypt

2. Oct 27, 2011 at 9:46 PM
    DataCrypt

DataCrypt [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 PreRunner SR5
    I did. I have a Metra #70-1761 harness which provides most of the connections (speakers, power, etc...). But as I mentioned, I need to run a wire from where I can grab other signals that are NOT at my harness. So I need to run a few feet of wire from a couple of places and would like to use the same gauge wire.

Wasn't sure if anyone knew what the standard for that was. Again looking at my aftermarket Metra harness it looks like 18 gauge, but I'm not sure as it doesn't say anywhere.

Thanks,

DataCrypt

3. Oct 27, 2011 at 9:57 PM
    DataCrypt

DataCrypt [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 PreRunner SR5
    I got it off Amazon. Same exact harness that Crutchfield offers (from Metra) for the Pioneer AVIC-x930BT. The Metra harness plugs into the factory plugs and has bare wires on the other end. The Pioneer has a harness that plugs into the back of the radio and has bare wires on the other end.

It's those bare wires that need to be matched up and I will solder/heatshrink them. So, essentially creating a harness that goes from factory plugs to the back of the radio plugs.

Make sense? Maybe your harness was different for your radio depending on the vehicle/radio model. :)

Thanks, I'll look to see if I've got some 16 gauge in the garage.

Best Regards,

DataCrypt

BTW - The only reason I got it off Amazon instead of Crutchfield, was Amazon is also an authorized Pioneer dealer and the radio was $100 cheaper than crutchfield + the extra $100 rebate going on. Crutchfield wants $699 and Amazon $598. Less the $100 rebate and my Pioneer came out to $498. Wire harness was like $5.

4. Oct 27, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    mrp192

mrp192 REALLY!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cheney WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Dbl cab long bed.
    Hood Strusts, remote Start, truck came with Leveling kit and wheels.
    you should be fine with 16G wire. if its just for signal inputs or whatever your not really pulling that much current.

5. Oct 27, 2011 at 11:22 PM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    All mine have been 16G

Products Discussed in

To Top