Notices

How is my frame rust?

Old 10-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
texastaco81 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
texastaco81's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down How is my frame rust?

Hey guys,

I just recently read up on the frame rust recall and was wondering how mine was shaping up. I don't know what is *typical* rust wear so I took some pictures (best I could). What you guys think?

Old 10-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
LMAO, what rust?

It's going to snow here tomorrow. Bring it up and drive around for a while, especially behind the salt or brine truck. Then take some pics in 6 months and get back to us.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
x2 there's nothing there to be even remotely worried about!
Old 10-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
HAHAHA you have like zero rust....if you had the rust your thinking about you would be able to stick you finger inside the frame through a rust hole
Old 10-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old 10-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #6

Old 10-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
texastaco81 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
texastaco81's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys... I am *really* new to vehicle ownership and care.

The rust on the long metal pipe looking part (excuse my ignorance, is that the exhaust?) is normal?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastaco81 View Post

The rust on the long metal pipe looking part (excuse my ignorance, is that the exhaust?) is normal?
Yes, that's the exhaust and yes that is normal for the stock one to look like that on a truck that "old". When the frame looks like the exhaust, start worrying.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Yes that's normal and no big deal.

Your frame literally has the least amount of rust on it that I've ever seen on a 1st gen Tacoma
Old 10-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Yes that's normal and no big deal.

Your frame literally has the least amount of rust on it that I've ever seen on a 1st gen Tacoma
ooh let me show you mine then
mine has frame-TRAC so I will never get rust
Old 10-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

This explains why your frame rust thread has almost no pictures of the frame at all.

In any event, you're fine. Keep the paint as intact as possible, see about having it oil-undercoated every year before winter (if you get any snow in your area) and you should be fine...