Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fluid Advice. Auto Tranny, Front/Rear Diff, and Transfer case

Old 10-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
palmxp3 is on a distinguished road
palmxp3's Tacoma Gallery
Fluid Advice. Auto Tranny, Front/Rear Diff, and Transfer case

Hi All, so I just picked up my first taco and want to change all the drivetrain fluids. It's a 2002 V6 Automatic 4x4. The factory manual calls for Dexron II or III for the transmission and GL4 or GL5 75W90 for the Diffs.

Should I stick to all OEM toyota for the fluids or go with something from Redline? Redline recommends their D4 ATF for the transmission: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=30504

and GL5 75W90 for the differentials: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=57904

Anyone running these with problems? I read on some posts that GL5 was not recommended because of corrosive properties. But the factory service manuals says GL5 is fine and is recommended by Redline as well. What's everyone's thought? I did a search and couldn't get a definitive answer.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
redline is good stuff.

I personally would run amsoil, but you should be fine.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I like Valvoline in my diffs, but that's just my opinions.
I run that in my motors too.

Alot of people have different opinions on anything. but only thing I would put Redline in was the transmission if it was a manual, MT-90 is GOOD SHIT.

Amsoil is good too, my buddy runs that stuff in his truck
Old 10-28-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty much any modern synthetic is going to work fine. Unless you race your truck you wont tell the difference between any of them.

I run amsoil in the tranny and t-case, and changed my front and rear diffs to mobile one because it was on sale. Happy with both.

The amsoil definitely made my tranny super smooth, and the amsoil took away the chatter in the rear end and really smoothed up the 4wd in the front.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Stay with the Toyota ATF save yourself some headaches!