Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

snorkel

Old 10-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
yota new.o is on a distinguished road

Name: joe
yota new.o's Tacoma Gallery
snorkel

i built my own snorkel nothing fancy just needed to re route the intake pipe so out the fender it was. im having trouble conjuring up a water trap or any type of system like that any suggestions?
Old 10-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #3

and then it runs straight into the stock airbox. any suggestions on getting rid of that as wellits got that funky mass airflow sensor with the square mount on it? thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
snorkel-img_5402.jpg   snorkel-img_5403.jpg   snorkel-img_5404.jpg   snorkel-img_5405.jpg   snorkel-img_5406.jpg  

Old 02-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
JayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud of
Name: Jay
JayARRGHH's Tacoma Gallery
Just get a p-trap with a clean out. what is that 3"? it'll look just like whats under your sink. You could leave the clean out off until you go wheelin, or buy one of the snorkel heads if you can get just the head.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Why didn't you put it up higher? Seems like you'd still be pretty susceptable to water ingestion. Plus, there's no way for it to filter rain water out like the ARB snorkel head. Neat idea but I think you have some design issues that would need addressing...
Old 02-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 6th Motor Transport Battalion
Name: Jeff
jsmarine's Tacoma Gallery
You should really run the snorkel up higher, water could easily splash over your hood into it at that height.

Also, here are some options for the top.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Landrov...item3a6999a401

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snorkel-Head...item3a6d9ccfd7
Old 02-01-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on what everyone has said about the snorkel being too low. Its right above the hood, where water can definitely still get in there if you do any water crossings. Most snorkels go about 2' higher than yours.

SurpraTT on here made his own snorkel and used a safari head similar to the pictured above to top his off. You should check out his design.

It looks like you have a good start though.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #8
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
subb'd
Old 02-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #9

that snorkel has been removed like you all say bad desgin idea lol thanks for the opinions though will def. use them next time
Old 02-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 6th Motor Transport Battalion
Name: Jeff
jsmarine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota new.o View Post
that snorkel has been removed like you all say bad desgin idea lol thanks for the opinions though will def. use them next time
Hope we didnt scare you off! I like the idea, dont give up on it!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Just run it up to the top of the cab, like mine
Old 02-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #12
focotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

focotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Do you just have a whole in your fender now........ Maybe just run it straight up with like a 2 or 3' long piece of piping and then throw the elbow on the top...
Old 02-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmarine View Post
Hope we didnt scare you off! I like the idea, dont give up on it!
x2, we're just trying to give you some constructive criticism. I give you major credit for taking the intiative and making something from scratch, I'd just hate to see you hydrolock your engine because water got forced down the intake. Keep at it, back to the drawing board for a final design!
Old 02-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #14

nahh guys i took it off a while back i realized the design flaw and we are starting to get into the worst part of winter here so didnt want to risk any damage. and as for the whole in the fender that is covered up with the top of a spraypaint cap and silicone ha hai am getting fiberwerx fenders with tax returns so that will soon be gone. i like the ideas and i have all the pieces for it i just need to rethink it and this is where i will start lol