Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Putting my 2002 Tacoma in 4 wheel drive (question)

Old 10-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
TacomaFrank is on a distinguished road
Name: tacomafrank
TacomaFrank's Tacoma Gallery
Putting my 2002 Tacoma in 4 wheel drive (question)

Hi: Whats the CORRECT way to put your 2002 Tacoma (Automatic transmission) into 4 wheel drive.

1. Do I press the 4WD button (which is located on the side of the shifter) "first" and then put it into H4 (from H2)?

2. Does the truck have to been in NEUTRAL or PARK?

3. Does it have to be completely stopped?

4. I have 2 Tacoma trucks and dont use the 4WD very often and sometimes I've heard GRINDING noises, so I am very cautious......I dont want to damage the trans or transfer cases....

5. I've looked into my OWNERS manual but its not really clear....

THANKS for your advice.......
Old 10-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
Team Impulse Red
CHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dan
CHPTR11's Tacoma Gallery
If the 4WD button is on the side of the t-case shifter just push the button in and you're in 4WD.

Mine has the button and I don't have a 4H though. Just L4 - N - H.

It looks like this:
Old 10-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Shift in and out if 4wd high while moving either by moving the shifter or pushing the button. Stop and select neutral with the tranny and shift into low range. Do the same to shift out.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
Going into 4H can be done at any time, well I wouldn't do it going 100mph, but the point is you don't have to be in neutral or stopped. Going into 4L you should be stopped and in neutral. I know some of the Toyotas say you can do it if under 7mph but I prefer to be stopped and in neutral.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
go into 4H at any speed under 50 miles an hour, you need to stop and put it in nuetral to go into 4lo
Old 02-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
jckinnick is on a distinguished road
jckinnick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaFrank View Post
Hi: Whats the CORRECT way to put your 2002 Tacoma (Automatic transmission) into 4 wheel drive.

1. Do I press the 4WD button (which is located on the side of the shifter) "first" and then put it into H4 (from H2)?

2. Does the truck have to been in NEUTRAL or PARK?

3. Does it have to be completely stopped?

4. I have 2 Tacoma trucks and dont use the 4WD very often and sometimes I've heard GRINDING noises, so I am very cautious......I dont want to damage the trans or transfer cases....

5. I've looked into my OWNERS manual but its not really clear....

THANKS for your advice.......

Mine you have to completely stop just to put it in 4WD high.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:56 AM   #7
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
So correct me pushing the button or using the shifter to H is the same? It's 4L that you need to shift but while stopped and in neutral? Mainly is the push button vs H on the shifter? Same? If so why have H and push button?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #8
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
So correct me pushing the button or using the shifter to H is the same? It's 4L that you need to shift but while stopped and in neutral? Mainly is the push button vs H on the shifter? Same? If so why have H and push button?
The H on the shifter just means that it is using the high range gears in the t-case. The button engages the front diff. I don't know if you have to have the button pushed to engage it into 4 low or not, I've never driven the push button 4wd model. On a t-case without the button (J-shift t-case), you have H2-H4-N-L4.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #9
jaymoussy is on a distinguished road
jaymoussy's Tacoma Gallery
The original manual, or more exactly sections, can be found on the Toyota site.

You might as well have the "critical" sections like "Operating Transmission.." handy.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Look on the visor. There's instructions there