Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Can't get my lower shock bolts out??!!

Old 10-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Can't get my lower shock bolts out??!!

I am putting in some ICONS and have the tops unbolted, have the bottom free but, the bolts won't come out at all!!

I have hammered on it pretty good!

What next?
Old 10-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Is the truck off the ground?
Old 10-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah...both sides on jack stands, wheels off. I have the nut off, but can push the bolt out.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds like you still have pressure on the bolt. It's at full droop right?
Old 10-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, full droop. I am trying to think how to take pressure off??
Old 10-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
Put the nut on and use a hammer to get the bolt started. Sounds like it may just be frozen or rusted in. You could spray it frist with WD40 or a loosing oil.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
If the top of the coil assembly is loose there should not be any pressure other than the weight of the spring and shock assembly
Old 10-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
If there is pressure loosen the four lower ball joint bolts, you should not need to take them out just loosen.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
^^ I no longer have a PreRunner
99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
99PreRunner.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMW View Post
Put the nut on and use a hammer to get the bolt started. Sounds like it may just be frozen or rusted in. You could spray it frist with WD40 or a loosing oil.
x2
Old 10-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
On my one side I have hit it so much the lower shock mount is starting to bend out!!

Maybe I will let it soak with PB for a while, but, I can't imagine how much that would do versus beating the hell out of it with a hammer??

I have used a spreader to take all the pressure off where the upper is completely free of the upper shock mount.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
I would try to loosen the bolt from the other side, if it is frozen if you can break the other side loose you could get it out, if not have one person loosen the head and another person hit it out.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
05tacoSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
A pry bar pushing the LCA down "taking pressure off the shock" is the best way.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
Just so I understand what you are doing. Are you trying to remove the coil spring and shock as an assembly? This would be the normal way, and the three top nuts for the coil are off? Or are you just trying to remove the shock leaving the coil spring attached at the top mount? If just removing the shock you may very well have pressure on the lower control arm and you will need to remove the 4 bolts at the bottom of the lower ball joint to drop the lower control arm.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #16
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidencio74 View Post
Lose the sway bar, that will give you more room
Yes I forget about it. Good call.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #17
fidencio74 is on a distinguished road

Name: Fidencio
fidencio74's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerP View Post
I am putting in some ICONS and have the tops unbolted, have the bottom free but, the bolts won't come out at all!!

I have hammered on it pretty good!

What next?
Make sure that you have another lower bolt. this one is stripped already. Don't do the same on the other side, just free the sway bar, I think they are 6mm hex bolt.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #18
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMW View Post
Just so I understand what you are doing. Are you trying to remove the coil spring and shock as an assembly? This would be the normal way, and the three top nuts for the coil are off? Or are you just trying to remove the shock leaving the coil spring attached at the top mount? If just removing the shock you may very well have pressure on the lower control arm and you will need to remove the 4 bolts at the bottom of the lower ball joint to drop the lower control arm.
Removing everything as an assembly, 3 bolts on top, and have the nut off the bottom.

Upper sway bar link is unbolted...

And I have completely taken the pressure off the suspension where the top is completely free of the upper shock mount.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #20
HIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Angel
HIYota's Tacoma Gallery
Just put my new foxes on the truck 2 weeks ago. Maybe the pressure is coming from the weight if the shock and coil assembly. Try lifting the assembly a little as you pull the bolt out. Oh and WD40 sounds like a good idea also.