Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Loud ABS noise

Old 10-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Loud ABS noise

We just got our first snowfall of the year and I noticed the ABS makes an awful noise when activated. I am familiar with ABS systems, but not on a Tacoma. They are normally heard/felt, but this sounds so terrible and loud I want to know if it is normal. The PO did replace the ABS sensor a year ago. I don't know if that helps any.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
So, this is your first time actually witnessing the ABS activating on this truck?

What vehicle are you comparing it to? Because, it might be normal depending on what you're used to.

I would try to FORCE the ABS to activate again....and again. It could simply be because the system hasn't been activated in a long time and all the components are a bit dirty/rusty/etc.

You hear it activating.... but is it actually doing the job? How's the pedal feel when it activates - is it pretty violent in the pedal feel?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I bought it this summer but I never had it activate until it just snowed. And I'm comparing it to my old saturn and my previous F-350 and Expedition. They all made noise when it activated but were way more mellow. It sounds louder than me revving the engine, and then resonates for a few seconds after I stop braking. if that makes any sense. And yes it It does appear to be working, I feel it in the pedal.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
We just got our first snowfall of the year and I noticed the ABS makes an awful noise when activated. I am familiar with ABS systems, but not on a Tacoma. They are normally heard/felt, but this sounds so terrible and loud I want to know if it is normal. The PO did replace the ABS sensor a year ago. I don't know if that helps any.
In 2WD or 4WD?

In Low Range?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
In 2WD or 4WD?

In Low Range?

Is your TRD an Off Road?

If A-TRAC is on and working to stop wheel spin, it makes a horrible sound... but is totally normal.
didnt think 1st gens had a trac
Old 10-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #6

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
When mine activates, it sounds horrible........I know its working thanks to these two reasons.

1. It sounds and feels like I just ripped my rotor in half and the pads are slapping themselves like the 3 stooges.

2. Stopping distance is increased 100 fold, and I almost fly off the side of a cliff instead of fucking stopping.

sent from non i-phone 3

haha yeah, that is pretty much what is happening. I just wasn't prepared for the god awful noise. Is there a way to deactivate it, short of pulling the fuse? Or would that cause issues? I don't want to, but just curious.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
Hateful Respect
SoCo has much to be proud ofSoCo has much to be proud ofSoCo has much to be proud ofSoCo has much to be proud ofSoCo has much to be proud ofSoCo has much to be proud ofSoCo has much to be proud ofSoCo has much to be proud ofSoCo has much to be proud ofSoCo has much to be proud of
SoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does the same ... whirring / winding noise that is in addition to the normal chatter type pulse that is felt with other ABS systems I've experienced. I did a search here and think it's normal.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
didnt think 1st gens had a trac

Yes, you are correct... I didn't notice what forum this was, as I just click on New Posts and read all the subjects (and not specifically looking at sub-forums. Sorry for the distraction!
Old 10-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
A sliding tire has no traction. Long before we had ABS we were taught to pump the brakes when we were sliding on the ice ABS does it for you only better. All ABS units make noise they are running valves under extreme pressure with a fairly big motor. My Taco and my VW sound exactly the same and the Germans have had ABS a lot longer then Toyota has.