Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hanger Pins on Leaf Springs

Old 10-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
eviele will become famous soon enougheviele will become famous soon enough

eviele's Tacoma Gallery
Hanger Pins on Leaf Springs

Hello all.
I spent yesterday trying to install new leaf springs with AAL's. Like a lot of others in the Northeast it seems my Hanger Pin is frozen in the metal sleeve of the rubber bushing.
PB Blaster, Impact Wrench and lots of cursing to no avail.

Cutting the pin will be my next approach, but I'd like to replace it with a greasable pin. Any ideas where to get that?

I've poked around the interweb, but without much luck.
This is all I've found so far:
http://www.northwestoffroad.com/part...les_tierod.php
N76160

Any other suggestions?
Thanks everyone...
Old 10-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I have been there myself and had to cut out the old bolts. Now, after 2 years, the new ones are frozen in place.

Wheeler's off road, offers a greasable Main eye Spring bushing set. I have one in my garage, waiting for install. Scroll down a bit on this page:

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/9504t...eafsprings.htm
Old 10-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
jrich44 is on a distinguished road
jrich44's Tacoma Gallery
Wheelers Offroad has greasable hanger bolts.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #4

eviele's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
I have been there myself and had to cut out the old bolts. Now, after 2 years, the new ones are frozen in place.

Wheeler's off road, offers a greasable Main eye Spring bushing set. I have one in my garage, waiting for install. Scroll down a bit on this page:

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/9504t...eafsprings.htm
Hmmm...
But then I'd have to replace the bushings I already have in the leafs, no?

Never thought of that. The stock bushings probably wouldn't allow for a greasable pin.

Gonna hafta do some searching. Not sure how I'd remove the stock bushings. Drill them out? That must be some tough rubber...

Anyway, thank you both.
I'll see if that's a job I can manage myself.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviele View Post
Hmmm...
But then I'd have to replace the bushings I already have in the leafs, no?

Never thought of that. The stock bushings probably wouldn't allow for a greasable pin.

Gonna hafta do some searching. Not sure how I'd remove the stock bushings. Drill them out? That must be some tough rubber...

Anyway, thank you both.
I'll see if that's a job I can manage myself.
You will likely destroy the bushings getting the sleeve with the bolt stuck in it out. Probably a pain in the ass, but the right way to do it.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #6

eviele's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
You will likely destroy the bushings getting the sleeve with the bolt stuck in it out. Probably a pain in the ass, but the right way to do it.
Well, I cheated. I have leafs on the truck of course, but bought a used second pair in great shape that I put the AAL's on.
My goal was to just swap out the old for the new.

Now, the new needs to have the bushings removed so I could add a greasable pin and I'm not real sure how to do that.

Any ideas how to go about it?
Old 10-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #7

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Torch?
Old 10-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #8

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to use a press or a big C-Clamp.