Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Does timing belt really need changed?

Old 10-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
southerman21 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dylan
southerman21's Tacoma Gallery
Does timing belt really need changed?

I have a 2000 3.4l v6 4x4 and it has 140,xxx miles on it. I was wondering if i should change the timing belt or not? I dont think a belt would be that expensive, but i think just by lookin at the engine, that its gonna be a b****
to change it.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Yes.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Yes and while you're at it you should also change the water pump.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
not to bad..I had a guy I work with change mine, took about 2 hours or so. Including water pump, thermostat and the belt.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
The single most important belt on the engine. Yes you should change it and if you have 140,000 miles on it I would not drive it again till you changed it. As a rule, anytime you change a timing belt it's always a good idea to change the water pump and any other belts or idler pulleys that are on the front end of the engine.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
not to bad..I had a guy I work with change mine, took about 2 hours or so. Including water pump, thermostat and the belt.
that is one fast worker. if you don't want any future issues, do your regular maintenance to avoid them. it's not cheap, but it's wise do it.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
it's cheap if you do it yourself, but it's a bitch to do...Toyota's are a bitch to do anything on front of engine..whether it be timing belt or front main seal or anything..
Old 10-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Ummmm yes.

posted via
Old 10-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
The single most important belt on the engine. Yes you should change it and if you have 140,000 miles on it I would not drive it again till you changed it. As a rule, anytime you change a timing belt it's always a good idea to change the water pump and any other belts or idler pulleys that are on the front end of the engine.
Ok I have done some research and I found a timing belt kit that has 2 pulleys and the timing belt for like 100$ and I found a water pump for 45$ or so. My other question is.... Do I need gaskets or seals or anything to put all this back together without leaking?
Old 10-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
Banned
hayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
hayabusa3303's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerman21 View Post
Ok I have done some research and I found a timing belt kit that has 2 pulleys and the timing belt for like 100$ and I found a water pump for 45$ or so. My other question is.... Do I need gaskets or seals or anything to put all this back together without leaking?
Unless your cams seals or main seal is leaking then no. Water pumps come with gasket i have found a few that dont so.

While you are in there change your belt tensioner also why you are in there.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa3303 View Post
Unless your cams seals or main seal is leaking then no. Water pumps come with gasket i have found a few that dont so.

While you are in there change your belt tensioner also why you are in there.
Ok, and it said one of them is an idler pulley and the other is a belt tensioner pulley.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #14
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The belt is going to break sooner or later. Better to have it changed on your schedule than being stranded...

Things that should be changed at the same time to avoid digging into the area again:

Timing belt
Idler pulley and tensioner pulley
New bolts for the idler pulley and tensioner pulley
Water pump
Cam and crank seals
Old 10-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
The 3.4 is a non interference engine. If the belt snaps, the engine will just stop running and you are stranded. This is not preferable, but besides the tow and inconveinence to you, the price to fix it is the same.

I have heard of belts lasting 150K plus, and I have heard of them breaking at 90,001 miles.

Personally, I would change it now. Walking sucks.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:36 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
The belt is going to break sooner or later. Better to have it changed on your schedule than being stranded...

Things that should be changed at the same time to avoid digging into the area again:

Timing belt
Idler pulley and tensioner pulley
New bolts for the idler pulley and tensioner pulley
Water pump
Cam and crank seals
Where do i find the pulley bolts and Where do u find the seals I don't want to get bent over by Toyota. They will prolly charge me 100 bucks a seal and 50$ a bolt!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:11 AM   #17
2 in the head and you know their dead!!
armyguy will become famous soon enougharmyguy will become famous soon enough
Army: Infantry 4-4ID
armyguy's Tacoma Gallery
so is this for all engines or just the V6? I have 99K on my 2.7 4 banger and been trying to figure out if i should change mine or not...
Old 10-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #19
2 in the head and you know their dead!!
armyguy will become famous soon enougharmyguy will become famous soon enough
Army: Infantry 4-4ID
armyguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
not really, you have a timing chain. They last way longer.
ok sweet!!! thanks for the fast response