Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

First wrenching: done! (Tune up + ubolts)

Old 10-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
Drewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Drewski's Tacoma Gallery
First wrenching: done! (Tune up + ubolts)

Hey all, finally got around to turning a wrench on my new '99. I did the extra u-bolt mod to the leafs, they went about 3 or 4" in front of the rear axle. I haven't driven it much since then, but no axle wrap so far. If the clunk in first gear was actually axle wrap, that is. But for $11, it's a pretty cheap test. So far so good. While I was under there, I cleaned and lubed the 5 zerks that I saw on the axle.

I also got a can of MAF cleaner and hosed it down pretty well, and installed a new set of NGK V-power plugs and wires. I got a new PCV, but I was trying to finish up quick, and didn't really see how that comes out. It's apparently not threaded, but I couldn't pull the valve out of the cover for anything. The plugs were pregapped to .032", as I have read before and they looked up the gap on their computer - they confirmed .032" as the correct gap for the 2.7L. The plugs went in ok, and I couldn't find my in/lb torque wrench so I used the big ft/lb wrench which only goes down to 20. The wires were kind of a bitch to click into place though; I had to tap them a bit to get them to seat all the way.

First time I started it up, of course it was cold, but it seemed to idle pretty high, and the garage smelled of gas pretty strong. (Yes the door was open.) It didn't sound like it was missing, so I just shut down and had to get to other things. I drove the truck today just a few miles, and the engine seems to be idling really low compared to before. Like 600 rpms or so, sitting at the stoplight, in Drive. I could feel the steering wheel vibrating more than I recall. I haven't had the truck a month yet, so I'm not all that used to it. I'm not sure if it's running better than before; I assume so. My first two tanks of gas got me a 20mpg average city and highway, so maybe in another week or so I will fill up and see if there is any difference.

One thing that had me scratching my head was that intake tube. How the heck does it come off? I undid the pipe clamps, but I seem to be missing some other attachment point. I would have liked to clean the TB, but it wasn't that big of a deal, and I was under some time constraints anyway. Maybe if somebody can point out the obvious bolt or whatever that I missed, I can check out the TB later. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You probably effed your MAF sensor..
you gotta be careful handling/cleaning those.

Get it running, let it warm up a little..go around the block and turn towards your house...head towards your house, hold the throttle wide open, then slam it it into neutral..turn engine off right away..coast to your house.
Pull a plug or two and see what they look like.

Also, I'd consider pulling neg terminal on battery and/or EFI fuse..resetting the computer.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:47 AM   #3
Drewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Drewski's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndefinedTaco View Post
You probably effed your MAF sensor..
you gotta be careful handling/cleaning those.

Get it running, let it warm up a little..go around the block and turn towards your house...head towards your house, hold the throttle wide open, then slam it it into neutral..turn engine off right away..coast to your house.
Pull a plug or two and see what they look like.

Also, I'd consider pulling neg terminal on battery and/or EFI fuse..resetting the computer.
I can't imagine what I would have done to the MAF. I took it out, handled it like glass, then just sprayed the appropriate parts.

And it doesn't look like I'm going anywhere today because of the starter. F-ing sh*t.

EDIT:

I had no problem with the truck last night, other than that strong exhaust smell in the garage. There wasn't any CEL either, so I'm wondering if it is maybe an exhaust gasket leak. It seems to be running nice and smooth on the highway.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
1998tacomaowner is on a distinguished road
Name: chris
1998tacomaowner's Tacoma Gallery
Back to taking off the intake tube there is a black box on the left side of the motor atached to the intake tube and there are two bolts on the bottom they are anoying and I wanna get rid of that whole box but don't know how sorry I don't have pics
Old 10-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Cut it off and do the golf ball mod ^
it's a bitch to try and cut it off and tack it shut..such thing gauge metal. I laughed at Nancy on CustomTacos everytime he tried tackin it shut lol..he's just burn right through every time.

and those MAF's are just picky...your symptoms might have just been the break in of the new items..new parts make motors run funny till the ECM registers it.
Sounds like it's running good.

Far as starter, take it out, pick up some contacts and re-build it.
For now, you could get away with taking the contacts out and sanding them down..so they'll arc.

P.S. easiest way to remove starter is driverside fenderwell with tire off truck.