Notices

New tires truck still shakes above 53mph

Old 10-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
bourdlay is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
bourdlay's Tacoma Gallery
New tires truck still shakes above 53mph

Hello,
My 4x4 2.7 reg Cab tacoma shakes bad above 53mph. It shook a little before the new tires at those speeds, but now with the new tires it shakes real bad. If I have had the tires balanced could the alignment be so bad to make the truck shake this bad? I am having the alignment done this week, but I don"t know if it will make it ride better. Any input is greatly appreciated.

The rims are clean as in no dirt on the inside the tires were perfessionaly mounted and balanced by Walmart. Not a good source, but the deal on the tires will hopefully make up for it.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
make sure they are balanced correctly.

EDIT - "professionaly balanced and mounted at wal-mart" is quite contradicting.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
This adapter I found when googleing the issue, is it really required for Toyota rims, can a shop properly balance my tires without this AKA Toyota Rim adapter?
Old 11-01-2011, 03:16 AM   #4
drwb is on a distinguished road

Name: Allen
drwb's Tacoma Gallery
I have heavier tires and heavier wheels and at first mine was shaking between 65-70. I got it rebalanced from the same people and it still shook. My next thought was I might of got a bent steel wheel from procomp?? So I went back to 4wheelparts where I bought the wheels from and they checked them out and nothing was wrong with the wheels. They rebalanced my tires and NO more shaking! So it really makes a world of a difference on who balances your tires.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
Ya I am going to have a local shop that has a good reputation rebalance the tires and give it an alignment for the life of the tires sake. I will check back with the results after that. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Are you getting a single or dual plane dynamic balance?

The shake could be alot of things..from grooved balljoints to driveline(u-joints) to you might just need a alignment like you assume..
Old 12-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Ralston is on a distinguished road

Name: Al
Ralston's Tacoma Gallery
So what did they say?
Old 12-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
fast5speed is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
fast5speed's Tacoma Gallery
If the shaking got worse after the new tires, they definitely need to be properly rebalanced.
As far as I've experienced, wheel shake is usually caused by 1) bad/worn tie rods, 2) front wheel bearings, 3)unbalanced wheels I suppose. Check the play in the tie rods and wheel bearings. It's pretty easy. Just jack up the front end and try to shake your wheels horizontally and vertically. Horizontally = tie rods, vertically = wheel bearings. If both of those check out to be reasonably tight and without play, then move onto balancing the wheels again.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Driveshaft might be out of balance. Any damage to it?
Old 12-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
get a road force balance.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #11
Zer0 is on a distinguished road
Zer0's Tacoma Gallery
I always like to purchase 'lifetime balance' and get tires balanced every time i do oil change.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
Zer0 is on a distinguished road
Zer0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwb View Post
I have heavier tires and heavier wheels and at first mine was shaking between 65-70. I got it rebalanced from the same people and it still shook. My next thought was I might of got a bent steel wheel from procomp?? So I went back to 4wheelparts where I bought the wheels from and they checked them out and nothing was wrong with the wheels. They rebalanced my tires and NO more shaking! So it really makes a world of a difference on who balances your tires.
What wheels and tires are those on your truck? What size too? Are those 6 lug. I have a 99 prerunner and want to upgrade the wheels/tires to a similar look that you have. Sorry to copy you but those look like a good combo setup.