Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

hub lockers on 1st gens

Old 10-31-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
hub lockers on 1st gens

Ive always wondered why only certain tacomas come with lockers when others dont. Its usually the 1995-2000 body style. Ive seen some without the TRD package that have lockers and even without any options.. a base truck that comes factory with lockers. Why do some come with lockers and some dont? thanks in advance
Old 10-31-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
The TRD Off-Road package that came with 1st gens includes a rear locking differential. The base models don't. Some people don't need it, others do. $ comes into account here too. It was more expensive off the lot with the TRD package. Resale value is higher too. Toyota doesn't make any truck that are non-TRD that have lockers. I love mine.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroskier View Post
The TRD Off-Road package that came with 1st gens includes a rear locking differential. The base models don't. Some people don't need it, others do. $ comes into account here too. It was more expensive off the lot with the TRD package. Resale value is higher too. Toyota doesn't make any truck that are non-TRD that have lockers. I love mine.
Well i know that. I meant hub lockers. In the front
Old 10-31-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
IIRC toyota introduce ADD in 2001, and maybe the limiteds had ADD before?
Old 10-31-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
IIRC toyota introduce ADD in 2001, and maybe the limiteds had ADD before?
forgive me. im a nube... what is ADD? besides the mental ADD lol
Old 10-31-2011, 11:24 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
forgive me. im a nube... what is ADD? besides the mental ADD lol
automatic disconnecting differential.

early models (1995-1997) had manual hubs I believe. After that only a select few had them till 2001 when they switched all models over to ADD.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post

early models (1995-1997) had manual hubs I believe. After that only a select few had them till 2001 when they switched all models over to ADD.
Mine is a 96 without manual hubs. One of my friends has a 99 base truck (no TRD) and he has manual hubs
Old 10-31-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
I like my manual front hubs,....

wish i had a rear locker
Old 10-31-2011, 11:26 PM   #9
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:

however to confuse you further more some people do convert their tacos with the Automatic Discconnecting Differential ( say that 10x fast) to manuals
Old 10-31-2011, 11:27 PM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Mine is a 96 without manual hubs. One of my friends has a 99 base truck (no TRD) and he has manual hubs
Really? well I learned something today. I do know that after 2000 none had manual hubs from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeysuncle View Post
I like my manual front hubs
I wish I had them.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:28 PM   #11
Firefighter:
wow. well Toyota couldnt have made it any more complicated if they tried
Old 10-31-2011, 11:30 PM   #12
braaap

Quote:
wow. well Toyota couldnt have made it any more complicated if they tried
well you can just take a glance at the front hubs to find out what it has. Not very complicated at all.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:32 PM   #13
Firefighter:
Quote:
well you can just take a glance at the front hubs to find out what it has. Not very complicated at all.
how do I know if I have auto locking hubs? Although im pretty positive i dont. I was trying to figure out what gave tacomas manual locking hubs from the factory. not aftermarket
Old 10-31-2011, 11:36 PM   #14
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
Quote:
how do I know if I have auto locking hubs? Although im pretty positive i dont. I was trying to figure out what gave tacomas manual locking hubs from the factory. not aftermarket
instead of having to go outside to enalble 4wd you can do it all from the inside, also your hubs wont have a lock or unlock position, just a black cap
Old 10-31-2011, 11:36 PM   #15
braaap

Quote:
auto:

Manual:
Old 10-31-2011, 11:37 PM   #16
Firefighter:
Quote:
auto:

Manual:
so its either one or the other? nothing inbetween?
Old 10-31-2011, 11:37 PM   #17
braaap

Quote:
so its either one or the other? nothing inbetween?
yup
Old 10-31-2011, 11:38 PM   #18
Firefighter:
Quote:
yup
so I have auto locking hubs? huh. interesting
Old 10-31-2011, 11:41 PM   #19
braaap

Quote:
so I have auto locking hubs? huh. interesting
Yeah you got the sucky ones like me (IMO). The advantage of manual hubs is that none of the front driveline is spinning when in 2wd saving a minute ammount of fuel and some wear and tear. Also manual hubs allow the use of low range in 2wd for things like backing up trailers.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:42 PM   #20
Firefighter:
Quote:
Yeah you got the sucky ones like me (IMO). The advantage of manual hubs is that none of the front driveline is spinning when in 2wd saving a minute ammount of fuel and some wear and tear. Also manual hubs allow the use of low range in 2wd for things like backing up trailers.
damn i wish i had manual hubs