Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Squeak on Start

Old 11-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
LifeIsGood169 will become famous soon enough

Name: Greg
LifeIsGood169's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to LifeIsGood169 Send a message via Skype™ to LifeIsGood169
Squeak on Start

When I went to start the truck at lunch time there was a really high pitched squeal for about 5 seconds. It reminds me of those ricers you see going down the street with squealing cams (I think they are cams). Anyways, it went away in 5 seconds. I got out of the truck and checked around, couldn't hear anything.

I have a 5 speed manual & I started the truck on a hill with the parking brake on & the shifter in H2 & Reverse (clutch in). The noise seemed to go away at the same time I moved the shifter from reverse to neutral. It did not come back when I put it back in reverse or first or let out the clutch 1/2 way for a split second with the brakes still engaged.

Has this happened to anyone? First time I've heard it. Recommendations? Should I start leaving my truck out of gear in the winter? (i know the manual says not to use the parking brake below 32F, but I do anyway).

Edit:
my guess is something to do with oil pressure. Could the angle of the hill (nose down) have limited the oil going to the oil pump on start? Should a pump primer be installed? or an oilpan heater, or should I turn the ignition on and wait 10 seconds to twist to start?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Check your fan belt and serpentine belt. And never use cheep belts, because they squeal like hell.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
squeaks like that are usually either belts or pulleys...
Old 11-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
+2 with above. Check the belt and pulleys-especially on the water pump and alternator. Usually it's a sign they are failing.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
BELT--check and replace--saw somewhere to put "bar soap" on the squeaky belt.
have not tried it--sounds logical. The cheaper belts squeak sometimes.
They also stretch sometimes--especially when new.
BTW--NICE TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Check your belts, check tension...could be the belts but your pulleys could be grooving from not tensioned within spec.