Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

help with 2001 oil change

Old 11-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
DIY rookie is on a distinguished road
Name: spencer
DIY rookie's Tacoma Gallery
help with 2001 oil change

Hey all, new member here. I want to change my own oil for the first time. I have a basic 2001 tacoma. I found this link http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...w-3-4-5vz.html somewhere under "1st gen" but am unsure if that's the guide I need specifically for 2001, 2.4L engine, etc. Any help would be great, thanks!
Old 11-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
watch this video so you can get a visual on what you'll be doing. it's not the same year truck, but the steps are pretty much the same. just make sure when you unscrew that old oil filter that the old gasket comes off with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXdrN...eature=related
Old 11-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
some tips:

Use a plastic bag or trash bag under the oil filter when you remove it, it will spill EVERYWHERE because its upside-down.

Make sure the old gasket comes off when you remove the oil filter

Get a nice funnel...and keep it in a plastic bag between changes so it doesn't get dusty/sandy.

Get some nylon washers for the drain bolt, the one that comes off will be dried out and cracked. The torque spec for the drain bolt is 25 ft/lbs
Old 11-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
some tips:

Use a plastic bag or trash bag under the oil filter when you remove it, it will spill EVERYWHERE because its upside-down.

Make sure the old gasket comes off when you remove the oil filter

Get a nice funnel...and keep it in a plastic bag between changes so it doesn't get dusty/sandy.

Get some nylon washers for the drain bolt, the one that comes off will be dried out and cracked. The torque spec for the drain bolt is 25 ft/lbs
^X2

Another tip:

-Put a little grease or oil on the new oil filter gasket so it hand tightens nicely.

-Take the oil fill cap off before draining the oil. It will drain the old oil quicker and remove any sediments fast.
*Edit ^ already in the video