1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

odd idling noises/behvaior

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DIY rookie, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Nov 1, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    DIY rookie

DIY rookie [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    spencer
    florida
    Vehicle:
    01 nothing fancy
    Hey all, my 2001 is manual. Recently ive got odd noises/behavior. It idles at standstill sounding like there's very minor pressure on the gas pedal. The engine sounds like its working a little bit, more than I remember. If i put it in neutral and brake, in the 15-30mph range (still neutral and braking) the engine starts into this loop of: revving harder, then softer, then harder, then softer. For someone who knows nothing about cars/mechanical work, the closest thing i can relate it to, is how a crappy old lawnmower sounds when the engine struggles to start or stay on. It revs harder then softer and keeps alternating every second or two. But while neutral and braking, once I get below about 15mph, it just stays on the high end of that loop, sounding like the engine is working harder than it should. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top