Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Restoring faded black plastic

Old 11-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
bagged97tacoma is on a distinguished road
bagged97tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Restoring faded black plastic

just wondering what you all have used to restore the crappy faded look of black plastic. the front bumper on my 98 is faded pretty bad. i really would rather not just paint it. i was looking at some products at the parts house yesterday that are made for this but i want to hear some feedback before i try one.
thank you
Old 11-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
SSS
oneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: SSS
oneBIGroom's Tacoma Gallery
Found some Bumper Renewal paint by Dupli-Color at Advanced Auto. Looks great! (it was faded to completely grey)
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring faded black plastic-bumper-renewal.jpg  
Old 11-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Gatorback, FTW
Old 11-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Mother's Back-to-Black I apply whenever I hand wash, about once a month, it lasts about 2-3 weeks before reapplication is needed.

I also see that you are new. Welcome from SC you're going to love it here, your wallet not so much. Try not to let the mod bug bite too hard. There is a 'Search' function third from the right, next to the 'Log Out' button if you have any questions a search will usually answer it right away.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
Wolfrunner is on a distinguished road

Army: Instructor, 3/414th D. Co.
Wolfrunner's Tacoma Gallery
got to put my vote in for Back to Black. Its great stuff and quick to put on and wipe off.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery

I just used this stuff to do my bumper valence and touch up the grille and its great. It doesn't really "paint" the stuff. Its more like a dye and soaks into the plastic. I even tried to scratch the stuff off and couldn't
Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
SSS
oneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: SSS
oneBIGroom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post

I just used this stuff to do my bumper valence and touch up the grille and its great. It doesn't really "paint" the stuff. Its more like a dye and soaks into the plastic. I even tried to scratch the stuff off and couldn't
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring faded black plastic-dupli.jpg  
Old 11-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery

duplicolor makes good shit either way
Old 11-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'm lurking around for some kind of fix. I might do this to a friend's single cab prerunner for her birthday.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #13

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I'm lurking around for some kind of fix. I might do this to a friend's single cab prerunner for her birthday.
oooh...her...

use the duplicolor stuff...its GREAT, I will get pics of the finished job tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
oooh...her...

use the duplicolor stuff...its GREAT, I will get pics of the finished job tomorrow.
Eh. Nothing that I would put my junk into.

I would tell her to use the back to black stuff but she wouldn't keep it up. Her bumpers and flairs just look like crap. Her headlights are all oxidized too.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #15
no one ever pays me in gum
blacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: caleb
blacksheff405's Tacoma Gallery
what would i need to do if i wanted to do the black around the windows?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #17
no one ever pays me in gum
blacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: caleb
blacksheff405's Tacoma Gallery
how should i apply this without hurting the paint or window?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #18
s13bdafocker has much to be proud ofs13bdafocker has much to be proud ofs13bdafocker has much to be proud ofs13bdafocker has much to be proud ofs13bdafocker has much to be proud ofs13bdafocker has much to be proud ofs13bdafocker has much to be proud ofs13bdafocker has much to be proud ofs13bdafocker has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
s13bdafocker's Tacoma Gallery
Check this thread out

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-solution.html
Old 11-02-2011, 05:13 AM   #19
Space Wrangler is on a distinguished road

Name: JCT
Space Wrangler's Tacoma Gallery

Old 11-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #20
marcchrisv is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
marcchrisv's Tacoma Gallery
another option is hitting it lightly with a heat gun. Brings the polymers back to the surface allowing it to back to black without chemicals. Just be careful that you don't hold the heat on it for too long, or it will start to melt.