Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Engine stops for no reason

Old 11-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
rbbaldwin2 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
rbbaldwin2's Tacoma Gallery
Engine stops for no reason

In the past month, I have had a couple of instances where my truck will just turn off when I come to a stop. I have noticed that my RPM's can be a little erratic at times (revs up and down around 100 -200 rpm). After it shuts off, I just turn the key and it starts right back up. I have cleaned the battery terminals, air cleaner, new injectors ... not too sure what else might cause this. Any help?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbaldwin2 View Post
In the past month, I have had a couple of instances where my truck will just turn off when I come to a stop. I have noticed that my RPM's can be a little erratic at times (revs up and down around 100 -200 rpm). After it shuts off, I just turn the key and it starts right back up. I have cleaned the battery terminals, air cleaner, new injectors ... not too sure what else might cause this. Any help?
Are you getting any codes?

Sounds like an idle problem. When correct, it should be at 750 RPM. What is yours?

Once you restart it, does it idle OK, or do you have to give it gas to keep it going?

It could be as simple as cleaning the MAF sensor inside the intake (after the air cleaner).

Oh, and welcome to the site!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Might want to look into the throttle position sensor too.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Might want to look into the throttle position sensor too.
Yes, the TPS can go bad. But start simple and cheap!

Also, you should download the Factory Service Manual for the troubleshooting process on this to save time and money.

Oh, looky:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ce-manual.html
Old 11-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
rbbaldwin2 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
rbbaldwin2's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you!

I just realized that it may be my MAF ... I recently cleaned and oiled my air filter. I will check the MAF and TPS... Thanks for the help!
Old 11-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
dark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dark tangent's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel pump perhaps?
Old 11-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Glitterdick

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbaldwin2 View Post
I just realized that it may be my MAF ... I recently cleaned and oiled my air filter. I will check the MAF and TPS... Thanks for the help!
Ah! The dreaded oiled air filter. MAF. You should clean your throttle body, too.